Randy Travis files lawsuit against girlfriend's estranged husband
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage1 of 6
- Photo: HRC/WENN2 of 6
- Photo: MARK HUMPHREY/Invision/AP3 of 6
- Photo: Denton County Jail/.4 of 6
- Photo: Invision/AP5 of 6
More Celeb News
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its VideosMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:42:00 PM
- TV Presidents Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus Tangle With 'Fargo's' BilMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:40:00 PM
- NBC's 'Aquarius' Books 'The Originals' Alum Claire HoltMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:28:00 PM
- Peter Capaldi's 'Doctor Who' Will Be Darker and 'a Lot Less PatiMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:12:00 PM
- 'The Simpsons' Producer James L. Brooks Signs With WMEMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Netflix Makes Deal With AT&T to Speed Up Its Videos
Country music star Randy Travis has filed a lawsuit against his girlfriend's brother and estranged husband.
VIDEO: Famous celebrity pets
The troubled singer got into an altercation with Ritchie Beougher and his girlfriend Mary's sibling, William Barnes Davis, back in Aug. 23, 2012 after allegedly trying to defend her and her daughter, Cavanaugh, during a family dispute that erupted outside a church in Plano, Texas.
RELATED: Randy Travis charged in DWI case
Travis was charged with misdemeanor simple assault, but he pleaded not guilty in December and filed a lawsuit against the pair in Collin County last week, claiming he was injured and humiliated during the brawl.
RELATED: Trouble with the law 2012
The singer is seeking unspecified damages, and his attorney, Larry Friedman, tells the Dallas Morning News, "This lawsuit was filed as a statement against bullies here and everywhere... Randy Travis stood up to the bullies in an effort to protect the two girls and was assaulted and victimized by the Defendants as a result of his heroic effort to save Mary and Cavanaugh from an unwarranted assault by Mary's estranged husband and his employee and cohort, who happens to be her brother. This is the legal vehicle that was chosen to right these wrongs."
Meanwhile, on Friday, the Grammy winner reached a plea deal with prosecutors in the case and agreed to serve 90 days of deferred adjudication in exchange for agreeing to meet a set of unspecified requirements during the three-month period.
This is the latest in a string of legal problems for the star - he still faces charges of driving while intoxicated relating to an incident in the state.
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Ben's Big Night
Ben Affleck wins an Oscar -- and joins Instagram! -- and more celeb news on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Kourtney Kardashian talks about Kim's wedding. Will Mason be the ring bearer?Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite