- Photo: Fame Flynet1 of 16
- Photo: Picture Perfect/Rex / Rex USA/Wonderwall2 of 16
- Photo: Flynet UK/Fame Flynet3 of 16
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN4 of 16
- Photo: Hall/Pena/PacificCoastNews.com5 of 16
- Photo: Instagram/.6 of 16
- Photo: Fame Flynet7 of 16
- Photo: FAMEFLYNET/Fame Flynet8 of 16
- Photo: FAMEFLYNET/Fame Flynet9 of 16
- Photo: Martin Harris/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.10 of 16
- Photo: Retna Ltd.11 of 16
- Photo: CHP/Fame Pictures12 of 16
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin14 of 16
- Photo: ABFR/GSI15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Cannes: Student Films From Chicago, Belgium Win Cinefondation PrizesMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 8:20:12 AM
- Cannes: Sony Pictures Classics Buys 'The Lunchbox'MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 8:05:24 AM
- Stephen Colbert Is 'Not a Fan' of Obama, Is a Big Fan of Drone Use (Video)MSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 8:04:51 AM
- Box Office: 'Fast & Furious 6' Nets $6.5M in Late Night ShowsMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 7:56:33 AM
- Steven Soderbergh Clarifies 'Retirement' Plans: He's Just Moving to TVMSNEntertainment 5/24/2013 7:45:49 AM
- Cannes: Student Films From Chicago, Belgium Win Cinefondation Prizes
In spite of everything, Rihanna still has a soft spot for Chris Brown.
During her candid conversation on the Aug. 19 episode of "Oprah's Next Chapter," the 24-year-old singer explained why she never stopped caring for the "Turn Up the Music" singer -- even after he was arrested for physically assaulting her in February 2009.
"We love each other and we probably always will, and that's not anything that we're going to try to change," Rihanna told host Oprah Winfrey, 68.
A judge lifted Rihanna's restraining order against Brown, 23, in February 2011; Brown had previously accepted a plea deal of community labor, five years' formal probation and domestic violence counseling.
When the exes run into each other at awards shows or in nightclubs, "It's awkward because I still love him," Rihanna admitted. "My stomach drops and I have to maintain this poker face and not let it get to the outer part of me. I have to maintain that and suppress it."
"I think he was the love of my life," Rihanna added. "He was my first love and I see that he loved me the same way. I truly love him. The main thing for me is he's at peace. I'm not at peace if he's not happy or he's still lonely. I care. It actually matters that he finds that peace."
In hindsight, Rihanna realizes she and Brown had their share of problems. "We were very young and very spontaneous. We were falling in love and going at a really rapid pace," she explained. "We forgot about ourselves as individuals."
Though some fans have expressed disappointment in Rihanna's decision to reconnect with her ex, "I have to move on," the singer said. "I have forgiven him. It took me a long time. I was angry for a long time."
"I can't tell people how to feel about it. They're entitled to feel angry because it wasn't a good thing that happened," Rihanna continued. "But I have forgiven him."
Rihanna decided to forgive Brown after repairing her relationship with her father, who had previously been abusive toward her mother.
"All kinds of emotions started happening after that," the singer told Winfrey. "All kinds of things started making sense. I thought I hated Chris and I realized it was love that was tarnished. It looked like hate because it was ugly, it was angry, it was inflamed, it was tainted and I realized that what it was is, I have to forgive him, because I cared about him still. And the minute I let go of that, I started living again."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Rihanna on Chris Brown: "He Was the Love of My Life"
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Kim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Check out Hollywood's hottest bikini bods on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Robert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
Better with age
See which stars just get better with age.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Magic LoveThe stars of "Now You See Me" chat learning magic tricks and experiencing the real deal.Watch Video »
- Workout ObsessedGwyneth Paltrow works out for two hours a day, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Twitter AttackFind out who went after Kendall Jenner on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- 'Fast' TalkWatch as the cast of "Fast & furious 6" talk about getting injuries while filming, getting jacked and a whole lot more.Watch Video »
- Feeling SwollenKim Kardashian says her pregnancy lips are out of control, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Party AnimalsCheck out some of Hollywood's biggest party animals.Watch Video »
- Carrie's ChangesSee how this country cutie has changed her looks over the years.Watch Video »
- Moving OutRobert Pattinson has moved out of the house he shared with Kristen Stewart, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders.Watch Video »
- Who Am I?Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- LovebirdsFind out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Worst LooksCheck out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- What's Sexy?Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Sexy SecretsVictoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
- American TravelsGet the Prince's travel details on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
- Birthday GirlTori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Fashion OffendersFlorence Welch, Zoe Saldana, and Ali Larter all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Roasted?Lindsay Lohan refuses to be roasted, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
- Beach WorkoutsFrom Julianne Hough to Alessandra Ambrosio, see celebs who get their fitness on in the sand.Watch Video »
- Miley's MusicMiley Cyrus mixes music and fashion while ignoring her relationship status, on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite