Robin Thicke, wife Paula Patton split: Their marriage was unraveling for a long time
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage1 of 7
- Photo: Kevan Brooks/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.2 of 7
- Photo: Charles Sykes/StarTraks3 of 7
- Photo: FS2/FayesVision/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: Dave Allocca/StarTraks5 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Winter/BET/Getty Images North America6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier diesMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 5:54:34 AM
- Jonathan Demme selling vast art collection in Pa.MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 5:51:16 AM
- Lena Dunham Jokes About 'Girls' Nudity in 'SNL' MonologueMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 9:11:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler Has Surprise Beach WeddingMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 7:28:00 PM
- Science Channel Greenlights Craig Ferguson Series 'I F-ing Love Science'MSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 7:10:00 PM
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier dies
Not a surprising split? On Feb. 24, Robin Thicke and Paula Patton announced they had decided to separate after eight years of marriage. Though they recently defended their marriage following Thicke's raunchy performance with Miley Cyrus at the VMAs back in August, multiple sources tell Us Weekly that the couple have been discussing breaking up for a long time.
"It has been a long time coming," a source close to Thicke, 36, tells Us. Adds a second source close to Thicke: "It is not a shock to Robin or Paula, and it is something they have discussed for a long time."
The "Blurred Lines" singer and "Baggage Claim" actress, 37, are parents to son Julian, 3. In a joint statement on Monday, the estranged spouses told Us: "We will always love each other and be best friends. However, we have mutually decided to separate at this time."
"Their marriage was unraveling for a long time," an insider tells Us.
Rumors swirled that Thicke and Patton's marriage was in trouble back in August following Thicke's controversial "Blurred Lines" performance with Cyrus at the VMAs. The singer also made headlines at the time for a report claiming he cheated on Patton during an Aug. 25 party.
In the wake of the scandals, the couple showed a united front during interviews and defended their relationship. In fact, Thicke bragged about their sex life in an October 2013 interview with Elle. "The spice is not our problem," he told the magazine of how they kept their relationship interesting. "We're overspiced. We could probably take a few spices off the shelf."
During a joint interview with Prestige Hong Kong Magazine last September, Patton gushed about how she and her husband were "best friends" and always there for each other. "I've been there for his down moments and he's been there for mine," she explained. "Life is full of peaks and valleys. Robin has always been a great person to remind me to celebrate now."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Kendall and Kylie take Wonderwall behind the scenes at a photo shoot and chat family, embarrassing style moments and more!Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Hank Azaria talks about his new documentary series "Fatherhood," his family and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite