SC court nixes James Brown estate settlement
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage.com1 of 7
- Photo: Retna Ltd.2 of 7
- Photo: Matt Dunham/AP3 of 7
- Photo: Sylvan Mueller/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Aken Police Dept./Pacific Coast News5 of 7
- Photo: Mike Guastella/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctorMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 12:23:05 PM
- Melissa McCarthy Reportedly Boots Extra from 'Tammy' Set for Abusing a ChildMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 11:59:56 AM
- Steven Spielberg to Produce Live-Action 'Halo' SeriesMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 11:53:19 AM
- Keanu Reeves, Reese Witherspoon Sci-Fi Romance 'Passengers' Acquired by The WeinstMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 11:33:46 AM
- VH1's 'I'm Married to a...' Preview: Age Is Just a Number for AnMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 11:30:54 AM
- Lawyer: No background check done on Jackson doctor
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- The South Carolina Supreme Court on Wednesday overturned a settlement divvying up the multi-million dollar estate of James Brown, saying a former attorney general didn't follow the late soul singer's wishes in putting together the deal.
Attorney General Henry McMaster brokered a settlement in 2009 that split Brown's estate, giving nearly half to a charitable trust, a quarter to his widow Tomi Rae Hynie and leaving the rest to be split among his adult children.
RELATED: In Memoriam 2012
But the justices ruled the deal ignored Brown's wishes for most of his money to go to charity. The court ruled the Godfather of Soul was of sound mind when he made his will before dying of heart failure on Christmas Day 2006 at age 73.
The court sent the estate back to a lower court to be reconsidered.
The justices did agree with the lower court's decision to remove Brown's original trustees. Members of Brown's family said they wanted them gone because the trustees mismanaged the estate until it was almost broke.
The court said it had no idea what the estate was worth, giving an estimate of $5 million to over $100 million.
The justices harshly criticized McMaster, who stepped in to broker the settlement after the estate floundered in court for years. Chief Justice Jean Toal suggested if the settlement was allowed to stand, it could prevent people from leaving most of their estate to charity because of fear their wishes could easily be overturned.
The dispute came to the court after the ousted trustees sued.
RELATED: Stars who are aging in reverse
"The compromise orchestrated by the AG in this case destroys the estate plan Brown had established in favor of an arrangement overseen virtually exclusively by the AG. The result is to take a large portion of Brown's estate that Brown had designated for charity and to turn over these amounts to the family members and purported family members who were, under the plain terms of Brown's will, given either limited devises or excluded," Associate Justice John Kittredge wrote.
The fight over Brown's estate included what to do with his body. Family members fought over the remains for more than two months, leaving Brown, still inside his gold casket, in cold storage in a funeral home. Brown was eventually buried in Beech Island, S.C., at the home of one of his daughters. The family wanted to turn the home into a shrine for Brown, similar to Elvis Presley's Graceland, but that idea has not gotten off the ground.
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 21, 2013
- 7 of Rihanna's Worst Looks
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 17, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 16, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 15, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 14, 2013
- 7 Most Outrageous Gwyneth Paltrow Quotes
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 10, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 9, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 8, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 7, 2013
- 7 Best Bikini Bods
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 3, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 2, 2013
- 7 Wonders of the Wall for May 1, 2013
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Tori Spelling turns 40, plus more celeb stories on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Victoria's Secret model Adriana Lima talks about the What's Sexy list, her model friends and more with Wonderwall.Watch Video »
Who Am I?
Check out how Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and more stars of "Fast & Furious 6" looked when they were in high school.Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite