Seal: Staying together for the kids isn't necessarily the best
- Photo: SWAP / Splash News/Splash News1 of 18
- Photo: Twitter2 of 18
- Photo: Rabbani and Solimene Photography/WireImage3 of 18
- Photo: Soren McCarty/WireImage4 of 18
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: The Ellen DeGeneres Show/Promotional6 of 18
- Photo: SAE/ZOJ/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: CNN/Promotional8 of 18
- Photo: JERC/Bauer-Griffin9 of 18
- Photo: Randy Brooke/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage11 of 18
- Photo: PMB/ZOJ/WENN12 of 18
- Photo: NC1/WENN13 of 18
- Photo: PMB/ZOJ/WENN14 of 18
- Photo: MS2/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: SK2/HSS/WENN16 of 18
- Photo: TF1/HSS/WENN17 of 18
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
In a candid interview with "Access Hollywood," Seal touches on why he and his now-estranged wife, Heidi Klum, decided not to stay together even though they have kids.
The two shocked many last weekend by confirming reports they were splitting up, and the "Kiss From a Rose" singer says he didn't want to deceive the pair's four kids by pretending nothing was wrong.
In the interview, Seal says, "You often hear couples talk about, 'We stay together because of the kids.' I don't necessarily understand how healthy that is, because kids are a lot smarter than you think they are. ... They're very intuitive. In fact, we are less intuitive than they are ... and if there is any disconnect, they pick up on it. We talk to them. We tried to explain as best we could what is going on ... just explaining to them that things will be different without going into too much detail, but a lot of things won't change."
Seal continued, "The main thing is to make sure that they feel that they're loved, make sure that they understand that their parents love each other, make sure that they understand that if there are any changes it is absolutely nothing to do with them and it won't change the amount of time. ... It may even improve the amount of time that we spend with them, quality time."
And the soul singer reiterates that the marriage fell apart because the two busy stars spent so little time together: "When you decide to be globally known, you've gotta service the globe and you just grow apart. ... You find yourself ... spending more time apart and that's just not really healthy."
Get out the vote
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
See how Angelina Jolie's looks have changed over the years.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite