Sean Penn: Madonna in Haiti to see his aid work
- Photo: GettyImages.com1 of 24
- Photo: Instagram2 of 24
- Photo: ABFR/GSI3 of 24
- Photo: SPH/WENN4 of 24
- Photo: Rex USA5 of 24
- Photo: Rex USA6 of 24
- Photo: SGP/Fame Flynet7 of 24
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 24
- Photo: @madonna/Instagram9 of 24
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP10 of 24
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage11 of 24
- Photo: BEImages/Rex USA12 of 24
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP13 of 24
- Photo: Madonna/Instagram14 of 24
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP15 of 24
- Photo: Thoko Chikondi/Invision/AP16 of 24
- Photo: @madonna/Instagram17 of 24
- Photo: Kevin Kane/WireImage18 of 24
- Photo: Adam Houghton/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.19 of 24
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage20 of 24
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP21 of 24
- Photo: OHPIX/Bauer-Griffin22 of 24
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage23 of 24
More Celeb News
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Married in FranceMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 5:57:00 AM
- California Super-Sizes Its Film, TV Tax Credit ProgramMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 1:47:00 AM
- Shonda Rhimes to Make Acting Debut on 'The Mindy Project'MSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 1:01:00 AM
- 'Rosewater' Review: Jon Stewart Gets Earnest With a Real-Life Story of Middle EastMSNEntertainment 8/28/2014 12:00:00 AM
- John Lennon's Killer: 'Sorry for Being Such an Idiot'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 10:53:00 PM
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Married in France
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) — Madonna is in Haiti to visit humanitarian projects that ex-husband Sean Penn has been overseeing since the Caribbean nation's devastating earthquake in 2010, the actor said Monday.
RELATED: '80s Pop Stars in their 50s
Penn said in a brief phone call to The Associated Press that he had invited Madonna, with whom he has "maintained a great friendship over the years," to visit several times and that she had come with her son Rocco. He said they arrived a "couple of days" ago, and he wasn't sure when she would leave.
"She's here, she's seeing, she's made the effort to come here, and I'm thrilled by that," Penn said, adding that he hoped Haiti might inspire her to seek out a cause in the country. "She has a unique platform, and wherever she chooses to bring that to, it's very well."
Madonna's been busy posting photos on Instagram. One shows her posing with others at a new hospital built by public health pioneer Dr. Paul Farmer in the central part of the country. The caption: "Revolution of Love in Haiti." Another picture shows a view of the mountains at dusk.
The caption: "Sunset in Haiti. This is Heaven!"
Penn has served as an ambassador-at-large for Haiti since early 2012. He received the recognition for his work as head of a humanitarian group he co-founded in the aftermath of the earthquake, the J/P Haitian Relief Organization. The group has focused on housing and relocating thousands of people from a golf course that was among hundreds of impromptu settlements that sprang up after the quake.
His group recently sponsored five Haitian runners to participate in the New York marathon.
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Rihanna strips down to a bikini while vacationing near an active volcano off the coast of Italy on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite