Selena Gomez on Life After Justin Bieber Split: 'It's Been Weird and Sad and Cool'
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 16
- Photo: DT2/WENN2 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/Getty Images North America3 of 16
- Photo: Mike Windle/Getty Images North America4 of 16
- Photo: Mike Windle/Getty Images North America5 of 16
- Photo: @selenagomez/Twitter6 of 16
- Photo: @selenagomez/Twitter7 of 16
- Photo: JXC/WENN8 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage9 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: @selenagomez/Twitter11 of 16
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage12 of 16
- Photo: LOMELI/Bauer-Griffin13 of 16
- Photo: Noel Vasquez/Getty Images North America14 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage15 of 16
More Celeb News
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' AwardsMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:58:45 PM
- 'Hobbit' Sequel's High Frame Rate Theaters Nearly Doubled But Warner BroMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:36:29 PM
- Leighton Meester to Make Broadway Debut Opposite James Franco in 'Of Mice and Men'MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 9:00:07 PM
- How Hollywood Infiltrated Miami's Art Basel (Photos)MSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:56:35 PM
- '20 Feet From Stardom' Stars to Sing National Anthem at Rose BowlMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 7:04:02 PM
- 10 Oscar Lessons From the First Blitz of Critics' Awards
Selena Gomez has been putting on a happy face in the wake of her recent breakup from on-again/off-again boyfriend Justin Bieber, but if her performance in New York this weekend is any indication, there's more to the situation than meets the eye. Taking the stage for a private concert benefiting UNICEF on Jan. 19, the 20-year-old singer made several cryptic references to moving on from an old relationship.
"I've been through a lot the past few months. It's been weird and sad and cool," she told the crowd before introducing an acoustic cover of Justin Timberlake's scorned lover's anthem "Cry Me a River." "This song definitely speaks to me."
Gomez didn't specifically mention Bieber, but a source at the event tells Us Weekly she "seemed so angry" during the song. (Incidentally, her ex performed the same tune in concert a few months ago.)
Prior to the show, however, the newly single Wizards of Waverly Place actress was all smiles as she spoke to reporters on the red carpet. And she seemed to light up when asked about her friendship with fellow starlet Taylor Swift.
"Taylor is one of the most inspirational, positive, good-hearted people I know," she gushed of her BFF, who recently went through a breakup of her own, with One Direction boy-bander Harry Styles. "I met her when she was 18...it was absolutely incredible to see someone so successful and so humble. I think she's been a big part of me staying who I am, too."
Gomez also discussed her risque role in the upcoming movie Spring Breakers, in which she plays one of four bikini-clad co-eds who rob a restaurant to pay for their spring break trip. "It's kind of been refreshing and nice for me to step out of my comfort zone and do things that I didn't think I could do as an actress," she said, noting that she had tried to warn her younger fans about the film.
The singer revealed that she was taking more risks offscreen, as well, particularly with her music. "I'm a little bit more mouthy [now]," she said of her new album. "I'm a little bit older. I've got a little more sass. [I'm] telling a lot more, too."
"Everything happens for a reason," she added mysteriously, "so enjoy every moment."
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Khloe Kardashian, Jennifer Hudson, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGrammy Gold
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite