Selena Gomez wears bindi a fourth time despite controversy
- Photo: Erik Pendzich/Rex USA1 of 13
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA2 of 13
- Photo: DANNY MOLOSHOK/Reuters3 of 13
- Photo: Jack Plunkett/Invision/AP4 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: Xavier Collin/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Wolf/NPG7 of 13
- Photo: JXF/JXH/WENN8 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet9 of 13
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet10 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage12 of 13
More Celeb News
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court saysMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Writing and Producing His Own Projects to CreatMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:45:00 PM
- Jeff Blake's Departure at Sony Leaves Amy Pascal With No One Else to BlameMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: Chicago Fire's Triangle, a Scandal Death and Sleepy Sneakiness MSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Ken Burns 'Thrilled' About Central Park Five SettlementMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:27:00 PM
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court says
She's not backing down. Ten days after Selena Gomez first offended some Hindus by wearing a bindi on her forehead during her Bollywood-inspired performance of "Come and Get It" at the MTV Movie Awards on April 14, the "Spring Breakers" star again sported the religious symbol for an appearance on "Late Show With David Letterman."
According to E!, Rajan Zed, leader of the Universal Society of Hinduism, issued a statement after her MTV performance, saying, "The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance. It's not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed. Selena should apologize and then she should get acquainted with the basics of world religions."
Instead of apologizing, the 20-year-old singer trotted out her bindi again the very next day, on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "Dancing With the Stars." And on Wednesday, singing on the "Letterman" stage, she again flaunted the religious decoration on her forehead.
During an interview with Elvis Duran on the Z100 morning show that same day, the singer finally responded to the criticism. "I think the song has that Hindu, tribal feel and I wanted to translate that," Selena explained. "I've been learning about my chakra and bindis and the culture. ... It's beautiful." (For the record, both Madonna and Gwen Stefani wore bindis in videos and photo shoots during the late '90s.)
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, and Eva Longoria all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTI Can't Trust Men
From Crowd Ignite