Selena Gomez wears bindi a fourth time despite controversy
- Photo: Erik Pendzich/Rex USA1 of 13
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA2 of 13
- Photo: DANNY MOLOSHOK/Reuters3 of 13
- Photo: Jack Plunkett/Invision/AP4 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: Xavier Collin/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Wolf/NPG7 of 13
- Photo: JXF/JXH/WENN8 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet9 of 13
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet10 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
She's not backing down. Ten days after Selena Gomez first offended some Hindus by wearing a bindi on her forehead during her Bollywood-inspired performance of "Come and Get It" at the MTV Movie Awards on April 14, the "Spring Breakers" star again sported the religious symbol for an appearance on "Late Show With David Letterman."
According to E!, Rajan Zed, leader of the Universal Society of Hinduism, issued a statement after her MTV performance, saying, "The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance. It's not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed. Selena should apologize and then she should get acquainted with the basics of world religions."
Instead of apologizing, the 20-year-old singer trotted out her bindi again the very next day, on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "Dancing With the Stars." And on Wednesday, singing on the "Letterman" stage, she again flaunted the religious decoration on her forehead.
During an interview with Elvis Duran on the Z100 morning show that same day, the singer finally responded to the criticism. "I think the song has that Hindu, tribal feel and I wanted to translate that," Selena explained. "I've been learning about my chakra and bindis and the culture. ... It's beautiful." (For the record, both Madonna and Gwen Stefani wore bindis in videos and photo shoots during the late '90s.)
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Beyonce and more stars share their summer love on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew Look
From Crowd Ignite