Shakira Bestowed with Honor from UN
- Photo: SALVATORE DI NOLFI/Invision/AP1 of 9
- Photo: Cliff Owen/Invision/AP2 of 9
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP3 of 9
- Photo: Piko Press/Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: Lefteris Pitarakis/Invision/AP5 of 9
- Photo: A-way!/Splash News6 of 9
- Photo: moises/Splash News7 of 9
- Photo: Hot Shots Worldwide/Splash News8 of 9
More Celeb News
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action seriesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:48:47 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:22 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:52 PM
- Made in America music festival rocks Los AngelesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:43 PM
- 'Escape From New York' Reboot Following 'Group' Thinking of &MSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:20:00 PM
- Joan Rivers Has Been Put on Life SupportMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:06:00 PM
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action series
The United Nations has presented pop star Shakira with a medal to acknowledge her philanthropic work for issues concerning children and youth.
Shakira founded the Barefoot Foundation in her native country of Colombia. The organization provides proper nutrition and an education to upwards of 6,000 children. It also extends its outreach to the kids' parents and community.
RELATED: See more Shakira pics
At the ceremony in Geneva, Shakira made a call for others to offer service: "It's not too late to keep our promise to our children, but we must act now. Together, we can make education and decent work for all a reality."
Holding the issues close to her heart, the Grammy winning artist is also a founding member of the ALAS Foundation to promote public policies for children in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Also a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, she explained how witnessing sub par conditions "shaped my dream and my vision of social justice: to see a world where every child can live a dignified life with the opportunity to reap the benefits of a good education and a chance to pursue their dreams."
The event was part of the UN's World Day of Social Justice celebration.
In February, Shakira spoke with President Barack Obama about social policy for children.
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite