Singer John Mayer Breaks Down on Stage
- Photo: Splash News1 of 9
- Photo: Splash News2 of 9
- Photo: ST/Splash News3 of 9
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News4 of 9
- Photo: Rahav Segev/Retna Ltd.5 of 9
- Photo: RHA/ZOB/WENN6 of 9
- Photo: Mark Seliger/Rolling Stone7 of 9
- Photo: Tony DiMaio/Retna Ltd.8 of 9
More Celeb News
- Jackie Chan 'Ashamed,' 'Heartbroken' Over Son's Arrest MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Mark Burnett and Roma Downey's 'Dovekeepers' Casts 'Manhattan&amMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 11:30:00 AM
- Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande and Jessie J to Open MTV VMAsMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:59:00 AM
- 'Top Chef' Season 12 to Premiere in OctoberMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:48:00 AM
- Bill Murray Comedy 'Rock the Kasbah' Gets Release DateMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 10:32:00 AM
- Jackie Chan 'Ashamed,' 'Heartbroken' Over Son's Arrest
The same day he apologized for using the N-word and blabbing about his sexcapades with Jessica Simpson in Playboy, John Mayer broke down on stage.
While performing his tune "Gravity" Wednesday at Nashville's Sommet Center, Mayer, 32, stopped playing and apologized to his bandmates.
"In the quest to be clever," he began, "I completely forgot about the people that I love and that love me."
He then said that he had entered a world of "selfishness and greediness and arrogance." He said that he thought if he could just be "speedy and witty and pull together as many fast words and phrases as I could, that I would be clever enough to buy myself another day without anybody pinning me down and saying, 'You're a creep.'
"I should have just given that up and played the guitar," he went on. "I didn't. So I decided I would try to be as clever as possible all the time, and I did that at the expense of people that I love and that feels absolutely terrible.
"I think it's important that you know that everybody on this stage is here playing with me not because they condone what I say in any interview ... they're on this stage because they support myself as a possible future grown-up," he continued as the audience cheered.
Mayer then got choked up.
With his voice cracking, he told the crowd, "And maybe they see something that I don't. So maybe I need to take a break from trying to be clever and spend a little time looking at what they see -- because they've done an unbelievable thing by standing on this stage and standing by my side playing tonight.
"It's just not worth being clever," he said, adding: "I quit the media game. I'm out. I'm done. I just want to play my guitar."
He then thanked the band again for standing by him.
After a lengthy pause, he began playing guitar solo.
After the show, Mayer Twittered: "I just wanted to play the guitar for people. Everything else just sort of popped up and I improvised, and kept doubling down on it..."
More on Wonderwall:
More from UsWeekly:
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite