Stevie Nicks says it was 'beyond insane' to wed best friend's widower in the '80s
- Photo: Jim Smeal / BEImages/Rex USA1 of 5
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 5
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP3 of 5
- Photo: Elle4 of 5
More Celeb News
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 5:09:00 PM
- PHOTO: Check Out Glee's Lea Michele on Sons of AnarchyMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:21:00 PM
- Discovery Counts Down to Shark Week With 'Gears, Fears and Rears' Week (Exclusive)MSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:18:00 PM
- 'Sharknado 2: The Second One' Live Blog: Join Our Real-Time Snark-nadoMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:16:00 PM
- 'Fifty Shades' Star Dakota Johnson Joins Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton in &aposMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 4:04:00 PM
- 'Glee' Star Harry Shum Jr. Joins 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon&apos
Rocker Stevie Nicks says she still regrets marrying her best friend's widower in the 1980s so they could bring up her pal's baby.
RELATED: Insured Celeb Body Parts
The Fleetwood Mac star vowed early on in her career never to get married or have children of her own, so she could devote herself to her music, but she turned her back on that pledge in 1981 after childhood pal Robin Anderson lost her battle with cancer after giving birth to a son named Matthew.
Nicks was convinced that marrying Anderson's husband, Kim, and bringing up her baby together was the best thing to do for the child -- but the union was doomed.
The rocker admits that even now, reflecting on her life, she can't comprehend the reasons behind her actions.
During a candid chat for "Oprah's Master Class," which aired on Sunday, she explained, "Matthew was born, Robin died, and I was grief-stricken. Completely and utterly grief-stricken. I had lost the best friend I had ever had in my life and I just went on a mission because I wanted that baby (to be looked after).
"I convinced Kim, and so three months after Robin died, we got married. And I thought that's what Robin would want, somehow. And it just blew up in our faces because it was so the wrong thing to take Matthew and her husband; it was so beyond insane that, I mean, I can't even tell ya (sic) (what I was thinking). ... I can't even, my own self, sitting here now, I can't even. ... 'What were you thinking?' You know? I wasn't thinking, so that's the story of my 'marriage."
She continued, "That was just me in my own crazy way, trying to help. Robin was my rock; she was my best, dearest friend since I was 14 and without her I thought I'll never make it. So, of course I was going to try and take care of her baby ... but you can't. You have to let things go like that. It wasn't anybody's fault."
Nicks reconciled with her stepson years later and has since established a close bond with him.
RELATED: Justin Bieber's Changing Hair
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBye Baby Bump
From Crowd Ignite