10 schools funded by Madonna to open in Malawi
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: PX1/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: Adam Houghton/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Tony Barson/WireImage6 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage8 of 10
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Kim Kardashian Among the Latest Targeted in Nude Photo LeakMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- U2 guitarist gets boost in bid for Malibu mansionsMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 2:26:14 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years Late
Madonna is celebrating after learning that 10 schools she funded in Malawi are set to open at the start of the new year.
The Material Girl has been a major supporter of the poverty-stricken country, where she adopted her children David and Mercy, and in 2006 she founded Raising Malawi to provide aid to the African nation's growing population of orphans.
Earlier this year, Madonna's organization announced a plan to build a handful of primary schools, which would serve over 4,000 children, and now builders have completed the facilities six months ahead of schedule.
Madonna says in an official statement, "I am overjoyed that my commitment along with (pro-literacy foundation) buildOn's to help educate the children of Malawi has come to fruition. In a country where girls have little opportunity for education, it's additionally inspiring to know that more than half the students attending will be young girls. The fact that more than 4,800 children in Malawi will get to go to school next year is a tremendous step forward for their individual growth and the growth of Malawi."
RELATED: Hollywood's single mothers
Get out the vote
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
All Grown Up
Nick Jonas reveals how he celebrated his 22nd birthday on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite