10 schools funded by Madonna to open in Malawi
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 10
- Photo: PX1/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 10
- Photo: Adam Houghton/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.5 of 10
- Photo: Tony Barson/WireImage6 of 10
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/WireImage8 of 10
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action seriesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:48:47 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:22 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:52 PM
- Made in America music festival rocks Los AngelesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:43 PM
- 'Escape From New York' Reboot Following 'Group' Thinking of &MSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:20:00 PM
- Joan Rivers Has Been Put on Life SupportMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:06:00 PM
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action series
Madonna is celebrating after learning that 10 schools she funded in Malawi are set to open at the start of the new year.
The Material Girl has been a major supporter of the poverty-stricken country, where she adopted her children David and Mercy, and in 2006 she founded Raising Malawi to provide aid to the African nation's growing population of orphans.
Earlier this year, Madonna's organization announced a plan to build a handful of primary schools, which would serve over 4,000 children, and now builders have completed the facilities six months ahead of schedule.
Madonna says in an official statement, "I am overjoyed that my commitment along with (pro-literacy foundation) buildOn's to help educate the children of Malawi has come to fruition. In a country where girls have little opportunity for education, it's additionally inspiring to know that more than half the students attending will be young girls. The fact that more than 4,800 children in Malawi will get to go to school next year is a tremendous step forward for their individual growth and the growth of Malawi."
RELATED: Hollywood's single mothers
Get out the vote
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and Selena Gomez all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite