Thai bar owner arrested following Rihanna's tweets
- Photo: Splash News1 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 13
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN3 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: Splash News6 of 13
- Photo: Gotcha Images/Splash News7 of 13
- Photo: JABPromotions/Rex USA8 of 13
- Photo: Splash News9 of 13
- Photo: Getty Images North America10 of 13
- Photo: Splash News11 of 13
- Photo: TGB/Splash News12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-HostMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 4:00:00 PM
- Brett Ratner to Produce Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:39:00 PM
- Sherri Shepherd Joins Ice Cube, Kevin Hart in 'Ride Along 2' for First Post-&aMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- Comic-Con 'Zombie Walk' Accident: Fate of Next Year's Event Is UncertainMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:04:00 PM
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Creator Kurt Sutter Signs New Overall Deal With 20th TVMSNEntertainment 7/28/2014 3:00:00 PM
- 'The View' Taps Lauren Sanchez to Guest-Host
BANGKOK (AP) -- Thai authorities have arrested a bar owner in connection with a lewd sex show mentioned in racy tweets by pop star Rihanna during her recent trip to Thailand, officials said Monday, two weeks after an Instagram photo of Rihanna with a protected primate led to the arrest of two other men.
Officials on the island of Phuket, 680 kilometers (420 miles) south of Bangkok, said Monday the bar owner faced charges of obscenity and operating an entertainment venue without a permit.
Local district chief Weera Kerdsirimongkon said the man was arrested Saturday as part of a crackdown on shows featuring naked dancers.
"Authorities found out about this bar the morning after Rihanna tweeted about it, but we were not able to catch them violating the law until Saturday night," Weera said. "We had been waiting for them and finally caught them red-handed."
Weera said the bar owner could face up to one month's imprisonment and a fine of up to 60,000 baht ($1,900).
This isn't the first arrest triggered by Rihanna's postings on social media. A photo of her with a slow loris, a squirrel-like animal with big eyes, on Instagram led local police to arrest a 20-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy, who could face charges of possession of protected animals.
The charge carries a penalty of up to four years in prison and a 40,000 baht ($1,300) fine.
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Cameron Diaz, Rumer Willis, and Ellie Goulding all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jake Talks 'Code'
Watch as Jake Gyllenhaal talks about his upcoming flick "Source Code."Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite