Tina Turner to become Swiss citizen
- Photo: KPA/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: Giuseppe Aresu/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com3 of 7
- Photo: JD/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: Lennox McLendon/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
Singer Tina Turner is set to surrender her U.S. passport and become a Swiss citizen.
The "Proud Mary" hit-maker, who was born in Tennessee, has lived in Kuesnacht, just outside of Zurich, since 1995.
She recently petitioned the local council to grant her citizenship, and now she is to be made a legal resident of the country as soon as state and federal officials sign off on the order.
The 73-year-old's spokesperson, Karin Rhomberg, tells local newspaper Zuerichsee-Zeitung, "Tina Turner will therefore also give back her U.S. citizenship."
The decision is expected to be finalized by the end of the year.
Turner has often spoken fondly of the European nation, and she was previously quoted telling German publication Blick, "I'm very happy in Switzerland, and I feel at home here. ... I cannot imagine a better place to live."
The diva isn't the only star to give up citizenship of her native country -- Gerard Depardieu famously accepted a Russian passport earlier this year after fiercely criticizing politicians in France over plans to hike up taxes for the country's most wealthy residents.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Get out the vote
Where Are They?
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Central
From Crowd Ignite