Tina Turner to become Swiss citizen
- Photo: KPA/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: Giuseppe Aresu/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com3 of 7
- Photo: JD/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: Lennox McLendon/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- What's in the Black Box? A Mind-Numbing DanceMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:48:00 AM
- Jennifer Berman Joins Roadside Attractions as SVP of Acquisitions, Co-Productions and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:44:00 AM
- Peter Jackson Reveals New Title for Third 'Hobbit' FilmMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:06:00 AM
- Maker Studios Partners With Viral Video King Jukin MediaMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 10:00:00 AM
- FCC Promises to Protect Open Internet, But Net Neutrality's Future Looks BleakMSNEntertainment 4/24/2014 9:38:00 AM
- What's in the Black Box? A Mind-Numbing Dance
Singer Tina Turner is set to surrender her U.S. passport and become a Swiss citizen.
The "Proud Mary" hit-maker, who was born in Tennessee, has lived in Kuesnacht, just outside of Zurich, since 1995.
She recently petitioned the local council to grant her citizenship, and now she is to be made a legal resident of the country as soon as state and federal officials sign off on the order.
The 73-year-old's spokesperson, Karin Rhomberg, tells local newspaper Zuerichsee-Zeitung, "Tina Turner will therefore also give back her U.S. citizenship."
The decision is expected to be finalized by the end of the year.
Turner has often spoken fondly of the European nation, and she was previously quoted telling German publication Blick, "I'm very happy in Switzerland, and I feel at home here. ... I cannot imagine a better place to live."
The diva isn't the only star to give up citizenship of her native country -- Gerard Depardieu famously accepted a Russian passport earlier this year after fiercely criticizing politicians in France over plans to hike up taxes for the country's most wealthy residents.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Get out the vote
Worst Mom Style
Check out Kim Kardashian's worst fashion moments as a mom.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, David Beckham, Justin Bieber and 50 Cent show off their globe-trotting travels on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jessica Simpson, Kourtney Kardashian, Beyonce, Gisele and Kendra Wilkinson post Easter Sunday pics on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
From Lena Dunham to Kristen Stewart, see the most awkward red carpet posers.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Julianne's hunky Canadian hockey beau on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTRing Speculation
From Crowd Ignite