Tina Turner to become Swiss citizen
- Photo: KPA/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: Giuseppe Aresu/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com3 of 7
- Photo: JD/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: Lennox McLendon/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Inside the Resurrection of Religious TVMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 4:01:00 AM
- 5 Crazy Things That Happened on the 'Scandal' Season 3 FinaleMSNEntertainment 4/18/2014 3:47:00 AM
- 'Fading Gigolo' Review: Woody Allen Pimps It Up With John Turturro in SurprisinglyMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 11:11:00 PM
- Survivor's L.J.: "I Was Completely Shocked" by Tony's BetrayalMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 9:00:00 PM
- Scandal: Who Didn't Survive the Season Finale?MSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 8:22:00 PM
- Inside the Resurrection of Religious TV
Singer Tina Turner is set to surrender her U.S. passport and become a Swiss citizen.
The "Proud Mary" hit-maker, who was born in Tennessee, has lived in Kuesnacht, just outside of Zurich, since 1995.
She recently petitioned the local council to grant her citizenship, and now she is to be made a legal resident of the country as soon as state and federal officials sign off on the order.
The 73-year-old's spokesperson, Karin Rhomberg, tells local newspaper Zuerichsee-Zeitung, "Tina Turner will therefore also give back her U.S. citizenship."
The decision is expected to be finalized by the end of the year.
Turner has often spoken fondly of the European nation, and she was previously quoted telling German publication Blick, "I'm very happy in Switzerland, and I feel at home here. ... I cannot imagine a better place to live."
The diva isn't the only star to give up citizenship of her native country -- Gerard Depardieu famously accepted a Russian passport earlier this year after fiercely criticizing politicians in France over plans to hike up taxes for the country's most wealthy residents.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Get out the vote
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite