Usher Opens Up to Oprah Winfrey About Stepson Kile's Death
- Photo: Peter/StarTraks1 of 17
- Photo: KYLE ROVER/StarTraks2 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 17
- Photo: KM/Fame Flynet4 of 17
- Photo: Flynet UK/Fame Flynet5 of 17
- Photo: David Goldman/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Copetti/Photofab/StarTraks7 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: Peter/StarTraks10 of 17
- Photo: BAR/StarTraks11 of 17
- Photo: Most Wanted/Fame Flynet12 of 17
- Photo: RAF/ZOJ/WENN13 of 17
- Photo: KB4/WENN14 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage15 of 17
- Photo: Ralph/PacificCoastNews.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Ratings: NBC's 'Sing-Off' Sinks to Series' Winter LowMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 8:50:21 AM
- Estelle Parsons to appear on Broadway in springMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 8:11:36 AM
- Reactions to 71st annual Golden Globe nominationsMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 7:57:53 AM
- Golden Globes Nominations by the NumbersMSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 7:47:34 AM
- Conan, Ice Cube, and Kevin Hart Catch a Ride With a Total Stranger (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/12/2013 7:07:59 AM
- Ratings: NBC's 'Sing-Off' Sinks to Series' Winter Low
Last summer was a very difficult one for Usher and his ex-wife, Tameka Foster. The warring pair briefly called a truce in their bitter custody battle when Kile, Tameka's 11-year-old son from a previous relationship, was gravely injured in a tragic personal watercraft accident, eventually passing away in August 2012.
"I miss Kile," Usher, 33, told Oprah Winfrey of his beloved former stepson in Sunday's episode of Oprah's Next Chapter. "We cooked together, we laughed, we sang. He loved to sing and dance. He loved to tell jokes."
The singer, who visited Kile at the hospital in his final days and attended his funeral, said he bristles at rumors to the contrary.
"It hurts me to hear people speculating that I wasn't at the funeral," he said. "I absolutely was at the funeral. I was at the burial as well," he said.
The Grammy winner and Foster were back in court shortly after Kile's death, with a judge awarding him custody of their two sons, Usher V, 4, and Naviyd, 3.
In his chat with Winfrey, Usher slammed Tameka's in-court allegations that he cheated or was an absentee dad.
"Absentee from the aspect of having to go and work, that probably would be her version or idea what absentee would be," he argued. "But no, I'm not an absentee father at all."
"I was born to do what I'm doing as a dad," Usher said. "I realized that once I had a child. When I had them, that's when they became a priority. It wasn't because of this case."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Usher Opens Up to Oprah Winfrey About Stepson Kile's Death
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Kourtney Kardashian hits up the happiest place on Earth on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Olivia Wilde to Mario Lopez, see which stars have the hottest beach bods of 2013.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum, Selena Gomez, LeAnn Rimes and Kyle Richards show off their holiday spirit on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out the many times Taylor Swift has pulled out her surprise face at award shows.Watch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTAlmost Naked
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite