Usher Opens Up to Oprah Winfrey About Stepson Kile's Death
- Photo: Peter/StarTraks1 of 17
- Photo: KYLE ROVER/StarTraks2 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 17
- Photo: KM/Fame Flynet4 of 17
- Photo: Flynet UK/Fame Flynet5 of 17
- Photo: David Goldman/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Copetti/Photofab/StarTraks7 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: Peter/StarTraks10 of 17
- Photo: BAR/StarTraks11 of 17
- Photo: Most Wanted/Fame Flynet12 of 17
- Photo: RAF/ZOJ/WENN13 of 17
- Photo: KB4/WENN14 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage15 of 17
- Photo: Ralph/PacificCoastNews.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- 9 Burning Fall Movie Questions: Will 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' be Blessed? Who WillMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 7:02:00 AM
- 'Halt and Catch Fire' RenewedMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 7:02:00 AM
- James Foley's Mother: 'We Have Never Been Prouder of Our Son'MSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:59:00 AM
- German retailer opening US flagship in CincinnatiMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:35:21 AM
- Seth Meyers prizes his new role as Emmycast hostMSNEntertainment 8/20/2014 6:23:29 AM
- 9 Burning Fall Movie Questions: Will 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' be Blessed? Who Will
Last summer was a very difficult one for Usher and his ex-wife, Tameka Foster. The warring pair briefly called a truce in their bitter custody battle when Kile, Tameka's 11-year-old son from a previous relationship, was gravely injured in a tragic personal watercraft accident, eventually passing away in August 2012.
"I miss Kile," Usher, 33, told Oprah Winfrey of his beloved former stepson in Sunday's episode of Oprah's Next Chapter. "We cooked together, we laughed, we sang. He loved to sing and dance. He loved to tell jokes."
The singer, who visited Kile at the hospital in his final days and attended his funeral, said he bristles at rumors to the contrary.
"It hurts me to hear people speculating that I wasn't at the funeral," he said. "I absolutely was at the funeral. I was at the burial as well," he said.
The Grammy winner and Foster were back in court shortly after Kile's death, with a judge awarding him custody of their two sons, Usher V, 4, and Naviyd, 3.
In his chat with Winfrey, Usher slammed Tameka's in-court allegations that he cheated or was an absentee dad.
"Absentee from the aspect of having to go and work, that probably would be her version or idea what absentee would be," he argued. "But no, I'm not an absentee father at all."
"I was born to do what I'm doing as a dad," Usher said. "I realized that once I had a child. When I had them, that's when they became a priority. It wasn't because of this case."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Usher Opens Up to Oprah Winfrey About Stepson Kile's Death
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
From Kourtney Kardashian to Mila Kunis, check out some of the best chic maternity wear celebs are sporting this summer.Watch Video »
Hot and Cold
Watch Hilary Duff and more stars take the ice bucket challenge on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Biel, see what your favorite celebs look like sans makeup.Watch Video »
Check out the stars that spent the most on their weddings.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSassy Single
From Crowd Ignite