Usher's ex-wife granted emergency custody hearing
- Photo: WENN1 of 15
- Photo: CPF/DHK/ZOJ/WENN2 of 15
- Photo: Ron Asadorian/Splash News3 of 15
- Photo: KM/Fame Flynet4 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage5 of 15
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage6 of 15
- Photo: Daniel Tanner/WENN7 of 15
- Photo: Fame Flynet8 of 15
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet9 of 15
- Photo: BT1/WENN10 of 15
- Photo: @Howuseeit/Instagram11 of 15
- Photo: Mike Coppola/Getty Images North America12 of 15
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN13 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com14 of 15
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
ATLANTA (AP) -- A judge has scheduled an emergency custody hearing requested by Usher's ex-wife a day after one of the pair's sons nearly drowned in a pool at the singer's Atlanta home.
RELATED: Hollywood's most controversial moms
A lawyer for Tameka Foster filed the request in Fulton County Superior Court on Tuesday and Judge John J. Goger approved it the same day, scheduling a hearing for Friday. The court filing says the boy "suffered a near-death accident" while left unsupervised in a pool at the Grammy winner's home.
A lawyer who has previously represented Usher in the custody dispute did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment, and her office said she was scheduled to be in court all week.
Atlanta police have said 5-year-old Usher Raymond V fell to the bottom of the pool and became stuck in the drain on Monday. A housekeeper tried unsuccessfully to free him. A contractor doing work at the home pulled the boy from the pool and performed CPR.
RELATED: Hollywood's single moms
The boy was "conscious, alert and breathing" when emergency medical workers arrived, police said. The boy was in the intensive care unit of a hospital, being treated for his injuries, Foster's court filing says.
Usher Raymond V is one of two sons of Usher and Foster, who divorced two years after getting married in 2007. The singer went through a long legal fight with his ex-wife and was awarded primary custody of his two sons last year.
Usher has failed to discuss issues affecting the children with Foster, and leaves the children with caregivers when he travels around the world for work rather than parenting them himself, Foster said in a sworn statement attached to the court filing. It isn't in the best interests of the children to be left in the care of third-party caregivers, and Foster is capable of caring for the children, the statement says. The statement also says the children have communicated that they'd rather be with Raymond than with caregivers.
The near drowning of the singer's son comes nearly a year after Foster's 11-year-old son, Kile Glover, died after being critically injured in a boating accident. The boy, who was the stepson of Usher, was run over by a personal watercraft on Lake Lanier northeast of Atlanta.
RELATED: Nastiest custody battles
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Check out the biggest fashion mistakes celebs made in 2012.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite