Whitney Houston death helped Mary J. Blige get sober
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage1 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA2 of 12
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks3 of 12
- Photo: Chris Schwegler/Retna Ltd.4 of 12
- Photo: PN2/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Warren Johnson/StarTraks6 of 12
- Photo: Darron Cummings/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Chris O'Meara/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN9 of 12
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/NARAS/WireImage10 of 12
- Photo: Todd Credaroli/Promotional11 of 12
More Celeb News
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:09:35 PM
- 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug' Review: Peter Jackson's Second VersMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 5:03:45 PM
- Fox Sports 1 Scores Best Ratings Week Since August LaunchMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:44:04 PM
- New York Post Settles Racial and Sexual Discrimination LawsuitMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:30:51 PM
- 'American Hustle' Cast To Be Honored by Palm Springs FestMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 4:20:58 PM
- R. Kelly Performs Song He Wrote for Nelson Mandela on 'Arsenio' (Video)
Mary J. Blige turned to God to help her battle her drinking problem in the wake of Whitney Houston's death a year ago.
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
The self-confessed born-again Christian admits the 2012 tragedy hit her hard and made her realize once and for all it was time to seek spiritual help in an effort to cut out her binge drinking.
She tells Los Angeles Confidential magazine, "I didn't want to go to rehab. I believe that anything man himself can do for me, God can do in a greater way. I decided to pray and to seek God on my own. I just stayed in the Word. And it worked."
RELATED: Best bikini Twitpics
Blige admits she struggled with alcohol addiction after trying to cut back and just drink socially.
The singer adds, "I chose to learn how to drink socially and it didn't work. The test comes when you have to decide whether you're drinking to be social or drinking to cover up something again. To cover up depression, to cover up guilt. Shame. Abandonment... Once I realized, 'There you go again,' I had to stop.
"Whitney Houston's death really affected me. Her death is another reason I stopped. I really do think I'm done. I looked at how that woman could not perform anymore."
RELATED: Celebs who've made makeup mistakes
Get out the vote
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Girls Night Out
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Jenny and Donnie to Amanda and Justin, see more celebs who found new love in 2013.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTFashion Offenders
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite