Whitney Houston death helped Mary J. Blige get sober
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage1 of 12
- Photo: Everett Collection/Rex USA2 of 12
- Photo: Humberto Carreno/StarTraks3 of 12
- Photo: Chris Schwegler/Retna Ltd.4 of 12
- Photo: PN2/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Warren Johnson/StarTraks6 of 12
- Photo: Darron Cummings/Invision/AP7 of 12
- Photo: Chris O'Meara/Invision/AP8 of 12
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN9 of 12
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/NARAS/WireImage10 of 12
- Photo: Todd Credaroli/Promotional11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Sony Overhauls 'Smurfs' Franchise, Plans 'Popeye' MovieMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:20:00 AM
- Body of Proof's Nic Bishop Joins Covert AffairsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 10:18:00 AM
- CBS Renews The Big Bang Theory for Three More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:58:00 AM
- Alan Thicke Reality Sitcom to Get 14-Episode Run on TV Guide NetworkMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:56:00 AM
- 'Masters of Sex' Casts Keke Palmer for Season 2MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 9:52:00 AM
- Sony Overhauls 'Smurfs' Franchise, Plans 'Popeye' Movie
Mary J. Blige turned to God to help her battle her drinking problem in the wake of Whitney Houston's death a year ago.
RELATED: Best and worst beach bods
The self-confessed born-again Christian admits the 2012 tragedy hit her hard and made her realize once and for all it was time to seek spiritual help in an effort to cut out her binge drinking.
She tells Los Angeles Confidential magazine, "I didn't want to go to rehab. I believe that anything man himself can do for me, God can do in a greater way. I decided to pray and to seek God on my own. I just stayed in the Word. And it worked."
RELATED: Best bikini Twitpics
Blige admits she struggled with alcohol addiction after trying to cut back and just drink socially.
The singer adds, "I chose to learn how to drink socially and it didn't work. The test comes when you have to decide whether you're drinking to be social or drinking to cover up something again. To cover up depression, to cover up guilt. Shame. Abandonment... Once I realized, 'There you go again,' I had to stop.
"Whitney Houston's death really affected me. Her death is another reason I stopped. I really do think I'm done. I looked at how that woman could not perform anymore."
RELATED: Celebs who've made makeup mistakes
Get out the vote
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite