Whitney Houston Tearfully Remembered at Clive Davis Bash
- Photo: Larry Busacca/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: GC2/ZJE/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN6 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 17
- Photo: GC2/ZJE/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: NC1/WENN9 of 17
- Photo: GC2/ZJE/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com11 of 17
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN12 of 17
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.13 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.16 of 17
More Celeb News
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'SupernatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:38:41 PM
- Paul Walker Death: 'Fast & Furious' Franchise Posts Tribute on YouTube (ViMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:35:39 PM
- If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:28:09 PM
- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu to direct 'Jungle Book' movie for Warner Bros.MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:26:12 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: Movie Moments of the Year '12 Years a Slave,' &apoMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 4:19:43 PM
- CW Scores Biggest Tuesday Audience in 5 Years With 'Originals,' 'Supernat
The music stopped for a moment at Clive Davis' annual, star-packed Pre-Grammy Gala on Saturday at the Beverly Hilton -- where, just a few hours before, Whitney Houston was pronounced dead at age 48.
The founder and former president of Arista Records, Davis, 79, discovered Houston at an NYC nightclub when she was just 20 years old, was instrumental in her record-breaking, chart-topping career, and stood by the star as she struggled with drug and alcohol addiction.
Davis reluctantly went ahead with the gala, co-hosted by the Recording Academy, but the star-studded affair -- Britney Spears, Miranda Lambert, Brandy, Tom Hanks, P Diddy, Kim Kardashian, Mary J. Blige, Jon Voight and Dr. Dre were just a few of the attendees -- had a noticeably somber tone.
"I have never seen a group of people so blank," an event staffer told Us Weekly. "Everyone is just walking around looking at each other but no one knows what to do. I am told the show must go on."
Davis himself opened the evening of performances, visibly crying onstage.
"So, by now sadly, we have all learned of the unspeakably tragic news of our beloved Whitney's passing. I don't have to mask my emotions. Not in front of this room full of so many dear friends," Davis' tearful opening began.
"I do have a very heavy heart and I am personally devastated by the loss of someone who has meant so much to me for so many years. Whitney was so full of life."
The music impresario added that his annual bash was one of Houston's favorites. "She was so looking forward to tonight...She loved music and she loved this night that celebrates music."
After extending his condolences to Houston's 18-year-old daughter Bobbi Kristina, mother Cissy Houston and other family members, he added, "Whitney was a beautiful person and she had a talent beyond compare. She graced this stage with her regal presence so many times, giving so many memorable performances here over the years. So simply put, Whitney would have wanted the music to go on and her family asked that we carry on. I ask you now to join me in a moment of silence as we dedicate this evening to Whitney."
After a moment of silence, the show continued with heart-wrenching performances by Diana Krall, Tony Bennett and Alicia Keys, among others.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See which celebs had the best and worst beach bodies of 2012.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCause of Death
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite