Whitney Houston Tearfully Remembered at Clive Davis Bash
- Photo: Larry Busacca/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP2 of 17
- Photo: L. Cohen/WireImage3 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: GC2/ZJE/WENN5 of 17
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN6 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 17
- Photo: GC2/ZJE/WENN8 of 17
- Photo: NC1/WENN9 of 17
- Photo: GC2/ZJE/WENN10 of 17
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com11 of 17
- Photo: PN2/ARB/WENN12 of 17
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.13 of 17
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.16 of 17
More Celeb News
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Nicki Minaj Welcome at This NY High School, After Alma Mater Rejects HerMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Ashley Judd Has Tough Couple of Weekends at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:47:00 PM
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Claims She Was Detained by LAPD, Mistaken for ProstitutMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:36:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars' Julianne Hough: "I Might Be Even Harder on Derek"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 1:34:00 PM
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"
The music stopped for a moment at Clive Davis' annual, star-packed Pre-Grammy Gala on Saturday at the Beverly Hilton -- where, just a few hours before, Whitney Houston was pronounced dead at age 48.
The founder and former president of Arista Records, Davis, 79, discovered Houston at an NYC nightclub when she was just 20 years old, was instrumental in her record-breaking, chart-topping career, and stood by the star as she struggled with drug and alcohol addiction.
Davis reluctantly went ahead with the gala, co-hosted by the Recording Academy, but the star-studded affair -- Britney Spears, Miranda Lambert, Brandy, Tom Hanks, P Diddy, Kim Kardashian, Mary J. Blige, Jon Voight and Dr. Dre were just a few of the attendees -- had a noticeably somber tone.
"I have never seen a group of people so blank," an event staffer told Us Weekly. "Everyone is just walking around looking at each other but no one knows what to do. I am told the show must go on."
Davis himself opened the evening of performances, visibly crying onstage.
"So, by now sadly, we have all learned of the unspeakably tragic news of our beloved Whitney's passing. I don't have to mask my emotions. Not in front of this room full of so many dear friends," Davis' tearful opening began.
"I do have a very heavy heart and I am personally devastated by the loss of someone who has meant so much to me for so many years. Whitney was so full of life."
The music impresario added that his annual bash was one of Houston's favorites. "She was so looking forward to tonight...She loved music and she loved this night that celebrates music."
After extending his condolences to Houston's 18-year-old daughter Bobbi Kristina, mother Cissy Houston and other family members, he added, "Whitney was a beautiful person and she had a talent beyond compare. She graced this stage with her regal presence so many times, giving so many memorable performances here over the years. So simply put, Whitney would have wanted the music to go on and her family asked that we carry on. I ask you now to join me in a moment of silence as we dedicate this evening to Whitney."
After a moment of silence, the show continued with heart-wrenching performances by Diana Krall, Tony Bennett and Alicia Keys, among others.
MORE ON WONDERWALL
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on Britney's new bachelorette status on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTNew 'Do
From Crowd Ignite