Whitney Houston's Family Blames Bobby Brown for Her Drug Problems
- Photo: Splash News1 of 17
- Photo: © Chris Walter/Retna Ltd.2 of 17
- Photo: Starstock/Photoshot Photo/Retna Ltd.3 of 17
- Photo: © Larry Busacca/Retna Ltd.4 of 17
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.5 of 17
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.6 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: Retna Ltd.10 of 17
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage11 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage13 of 17
- Photo: Retna Digital14 of 17
- Photo: Lenny Baker/Retna Digital15 of 17
- Photo: Paul Smith/Retna Digital16 of 17
More Celeb News
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'MSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:48:00 PM
- ABC's 'The Quest' Producers Reveal How They Found HeroesMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:26:00 PM
- Sharknado 2 Sets Record With Nearly 4 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Javier Bardem clarifies comments in open letter about Middle East conflictMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Netflix Revives The Killing For One Last CaseMSNEntertainment 7/31/2014 3:14:00 PM
- From "Sassenach" to Time Travel! Everything You Need to Know About Starz'
When a slew of Whitney Houston's high-profile friends and family members pay their respects at a private funeral service at New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ Saturday, there could be some underlying tension between Houston's relatives and Bobby Brown, the late star's ex-husband.
"There are family members who felt Bobby drove Whitney into drugs," one source tells Us Weekly. "But now Bobby is clean and Whitney has unfortunately passed. So there's resentment."
Despite a rehab stint in May 2011 for drugs and alcohol, Houston, 48, was "battling her addictions until the end," a source tells Us of the Grammy winner, who was found dead in the bathtub at the Beverly Hilton last Saturday. In a 2009 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Houston said she went from being a "light" drug user to a "heavy" one over the course of her 15 year marriage to Brown, 43. "I wasn't getting high by myself. It was me and him together."
The "Saving All My Love for You" singer even admitted to freebasing cocaine with her husband, who is the father to their 18-year-old daughter, Bobbi Kristina.
Despite that rough history, the source says, "he and Whitney had a solid relationship even with the separation and divorce."
And contrary to rumors that Houston's family had prevented Brown from seeing Bobbi Kristina following Houston's death, "He was involved in choices for Bobbi, so that seems farfetched that they were keeping her from him. He has seen his daughter."
As he preps for his ex's funeral (to be attended by Kevin Costner, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Brandy and brother Ray J, mentor Clive Davis, Stevie Wonder, Chaka Kahn and others), "Bobby is very shaken up," the source says.
In concert with band New Edition in Maryland Thursday night, Brown paid another onstage tribute to Houston.
"I'd like to say thank you for your prayers ... I'd like to say thank you. Period. I'm gonna throw two up for Whitney," he told the crowd. "That's my love. Life is life. You have to move on sometimes. I love her like I love God."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
From Benji Madden and Cameron Diaz to Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon, take a look at some of Hollywood's strangest couples.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba, Reese Witherspoon, and more stars who recycle their wardrobes.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
From Reese Witherspoon to Justin Timberlake, see some of the hottest stars from the south.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPool Party
From Crowd Ignite