Whitney Houston's Family Blames Bobby Brown for Her Drug Problems
- Photo: Splash News1 of 17
- Photo: © Chris Walter/Retna Ltd.2 of 17
- Photo: Starstock/Photoshot Photo/Retna Ltd.3 of 17
- Photo: © Larry Busacca/Retna Ltd.4 of 17
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.5 of 17
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.6 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: Retna Ltd.10 of 17
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage11 of 17
- Photo: Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage13 of 17
- Photo: Retna Digital14 of 17
- Photo: Lenny Baker/Retna Digital15 of 17
- Photo: Paul Smith/Retna Digital16 of 17
More Celeb News
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action seriesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:48:47 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:22 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:52 PM
- Made in America music festival rocks Los AngelesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:43 PM
- 'Escape From New York' Reboot Following 'Group' Thinking of &MSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:20:00 PM
- Joan Rivers Has Been Put on Life SupportMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:06:00 PM
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action series
When a slew of Whitney Houston's high-profile friends and family members pay their respects at a private funeral service at New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, NJ Saturday, there could be some underlying tension between Houston's relatives and Bobby Brown, the late star's ex-husband.
"There are family members who felt Bobby drove Whitney into drugs," one source tells Us Weekly. "But now Bobby is clean and Whitney has unfortunately passed. So there's resentment."
Despite a rehab stint in May 2011 for drugs and alcohol, Houston, 48, was "battling her addictions until the end," a source tells Us of the Grammy winner, who was found dead in the bathtub at the Beverly Hilton last Saturday. In a 2009 interview with Oprah Winfrey, Houston said she went from being a "light" drug user to a "heavy" one over the course of her 15 year marriage to Brown, 43. "I wasn't getting high by myself. It was me and him together."
The "Saving All My Love for You" singer even admitted to freebasing cocaine with her husband, who is the father to their 18-year-old daughter, Bobbi Kristina.
Despite that rough history, the source says, "he and Whitney had a solid relationship even with the separation and divorce."
And contrary to rumors that Houston's family had prevented Brown from seeing Bobbi Kristina following Houston's death, "He was involved in choices for Bobbi, so that seems farfetched that they were keeping her from him. He has seen his daughter."
As he preps for his ex's funeral (to be attended by Kevin Costner, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Brandy and brother Ray J, mentor Clive Davis, Stevie Wonder, Chaka Kahn and others), "Bobby is very shaken up," the source says.
In concert with band New Edition in Maryland Thursday night, Brown paid another onstage tribute to Houston.
"I'd like to say thank you for your prayers ... I'd like to say thank you. Period. I'm gonna throw two up for Whitney," he told the crowd. "That's my love. Life is life. You have to move on sometimes. I love her like I love God."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite