will.i.am reunited with teacher who changed his life
- Photo: AR4/WENN1 of 9
- Photo: Entertainment Tonight2 of 9
- Photo: Photofab/StarTraks3 of 9
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage4 of 9
- Photo: John Hillcoat/Capital Pictures/Retna Ltd.5 of 9
- Photo: ZJJ/LNG/WENN6 of 9
- Photo: NC1/TWT/WENN7 of 9
- Photo: LTA/WENN8 of 9
More Celeb News
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as DickMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:40:09 PM
- Internet giants weigh in on defamation lawsuitMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:35:20 PM
- 2013 Critics Awards: The Complete ListMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 12:03:04 PM
- 'Bonnie & Clyde' Writers Talk Turning Facts Into Drama: We're &amMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:58:04 AM
- LA Film Critics: Lupita Nyong'o Named Best Supporting ActressMSNEntertainment 12/8/2013 11:20:58 AM
- TheWrap Screening Series: Felicity Jones Anything But an 'Invisible Woman' as Dick
Will.i.am choked back tears on TV on Thursday as he was reunited with the high school teacher who encouraged him to pursue his musical dreams.
The Black Eyed Peas frontman was a guest on Katie Couric's daytime talk show to promote Ekocycle, his new recycling initiative with beverage giant Coca-Cola, and he opened up about a former health teacher, Ms. Montez, who "changed his life" by giving him the attention and encouragement he needed to launch a career in the spotlight.
Montez was then brought out onstage and will.i.am fought back tears as she praised him for his charity work.
She told the audience, "My best memories of Will is he was just ... he feels like family to me, even after all this time, to me, he just feels like family. I'm proud of everything (he's done), but he's so philanthropic, I just respect that so much."
will.i.am returned the favor by thanking Montez for helping him overcome his childhood shyness and show off his musical talents, because her kindness helped him avoid a life of trouble on the streets of his native East Los Angeles.
He said, "Encouraging a kid, especially when they come from nothing, it goes a long way. You don't know where I would have been if it wasn't for people like Ms. Montez (sic)."
RELATED: Surprising Celebrity Couples
Katy Perry, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, and Lady Gaga all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
Candace Cameron Bure talks to WW's Chris Gardner about "Full House" reruns, her famous brother and finding her purpose in life through faith.Watch Video »
Malin Akerman, Courtney Love, and Florence Welch all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Carrie Underwood tweets about her "Sound of Music" experience on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGrammy Gold
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite