Wynette's family upset over tombstone name change
- Photo: AP1 of 2
More Celeb News
- Gilberto Santa Rosa leads 'Forever Tango' to B'wayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 7:43:49 AM
- 10 recommendations for Wagner's 200th birthdayMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 7:34:24 AM
- Obama on Oklahoma Tornado: Country Will be 'There for Them'MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 7:24:52 AM
- Tornado Survivor Reunited With Lost Dog During Live Interview (Video)MSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 7:22:50 AM
- Criteria Recording Studios founder Emerman diesMSNEntertainment 5/21/2013 6:48:26 AM
- Gilberto Santa Rosa leads 'Forever Tango' to B'way
Tammy Wynette's children say they are very upset over the decision to change the name on her tombstone.
The country singer, who died in 1998, was born Virginia Wynette Pugh, and last year the name on her grave in Tennessee was changed from her stage name to Virginia W Richardson, the title she took when she married George Richey, whose birth name was Richardson.
Wynette's daughter Georgette Jones-Lennon, from the star's marriage to George Jones, was told about the alteration by her stepsister Deirdre Richardson-Hale and thought it was just a temporary measure. She also believed the change stemmed from a legal dispute with Richey's widow, Sheila, whom he married after Wynette's death.
RELATED: See the music world's oddest couples
She tells CMT.com, "Deirdre called my sister and relayed a message to her that it would be legally necessary -- just temporarily -- for us to change Mom's name to her maiden name and that (the change) was in regard to things that were going on regarding Sheila, Richey's widow.
"We did agree, but we wanted Mom's name to be changed temporarily to her maiden name, which we thought was going to be 'Virginia Wynette Pugh.' Of course, as you can see, it was changed to 'Virginia W Richardson,' which was not what we agreed to. ... I won't speak for all of us, but I can say my sisters Tina, Jackie and myself are very upset."
Sheila Richey has also revealed she is angry about the name change, adding, "Sadly, I cannot tell you the reasons why my stepdaughter, Deirdre, would have requested (cemetery officials) to desecrate the resting place of this world-renowned country legend. My late husband, George Richey, had the name her fans knew, Tammy Wynette, placed there after she died in 1998. Over this issue and others, Deirdre and I no longer speak."
RELATED: Actors who moonlight as musicians
From Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
Check out some of Rihanna's worst wardrobe choices on 7 Wonders, hosted by Tim Kash.Watch Video »
Find out what Jessica Alba and Cash Warren tweeted to each other on their fifth wedding anniversary on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
Beyonce posts behind-the-scenes shots of the Mrs. Carter Show World Tour on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
Heidi Klum hangs with two comedy legends and shares what she finds most sexy in a man on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
- Bikini BurnsFrom Kim Kardashian to Jessica Alba, see the worst celeb sunburns.Watch Video »
- Double TroubleFrom the Olsens to the Mowrys, see some of Hollywood's most famous twins.Watch Video »
- Country CutiesCheck out the hottest couples in country music.Watch Video »
- Crazy QuotesCheck out some of Gwyneth Paltrow's craziest quotes.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From MSN Entertainment
From Crowd Ignite