Joan Rivers slams Lena Dunham's body-positive message
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN2 of 7
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage3 of 7
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Desiree Navarro/WireImage.com5 of 7
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Digital6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and CompMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:42:00 PM
- BuzzFeed Taps Andrew Gauthier to Lead Video DivisionMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Roger Goodell Won't Resign From NFL, But Promises Conduct Policy ChangesMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 3:29:00 PM
- HBO Suspends Pre-Production of Brian De Palma's Penn State Molestation Film 'To DeMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- Dancing's Derek Hough: We Have Something "Potentially Dangerous" PlannedMSNEntertainment 9/19/2014 2:28:00 PM
- 'Beyond the Lights' Review: Gugu Mbatha-Raw Portrays Divadom With Honesty and Comp
Season 3 of "Girls" may be over, but Lena Dunham -- and her body -- remain a hot topic. Joan Rivers eviscerated the HBO hit's creator and star during an appearance on "The Howard Stern Show" on Sirius XM March 25 arguing that Dunham's body-positive message sends the wrong message.
"Let me ask you something. Lena Dunham, who again I think is terrific, how could she wear dresses above the knee?" the E! "Fashion Police" host, 80, asked Stern during her visit. When Stern explained that she doesn't care what other people think, Rivers replied, "Oh, every woman gives a sh-t."
"You are sending a message out to people saying, 'It's okay! Stay fat! Get diabetes. Everybody die! Lose your fingers," Rivers continued of how Dunham, 27, goes nude on her HBO smash hit.
Stern, 60, tried to reason that society should celebrate that Dunham isn't plastic or filled with Botox, but the comedian wasn't having it. "Then don't go on Vogue's cover and -- here we go again -- going on Vogue's cover and looking gorgeous. I didn't know it was her," she said. "I'm on fire over hypocrisy." (Last month, Dunham slammed Jezebel for offering a $10,000 reward for unretouched images from her photo shoot. The result? Her photos were doctored the slightest bit.)
"I love that she's funny and love that she's done well. But don't let them laugh at you physically," Rivers added. "If you look the way you look, Lena, and that's fine and you're funny, don't say it's okay that other girls can look like this. Try to look better."
It was only last year that Stern himself slammed Dunham about her weight. Back in January 2013, the radio host referred to the Golden Globe winner as "a little fat girl who kind of looks like Jonah Hill." He later apologized to Dunham when she called into his Sirius XM show.
"I felt bad because I really do love the show 'Girls,' and enjoy it, and I admire the girl who writes it," he said on-air at the time. "It makes me feel bad, and I think she is getting the impression that I somehow think she's just a talentless little fat chick."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Beyonce is Hot
Check out Beyonce's all-time sexiest looks.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Rihanna to Lady Gaga, scope out the worst dressed A-listers at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, Spring/ Summer 2015!Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTOver The Moon
From Crowd Ignite