Khloe Kardashian slammed by Native American Council for wearing insensitive headdress
- Photo: @khloekardashian/Instagram1 of 3
- Photo: @kyliejenner/Instagram2 of 3
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
Harmless kid fun? Not really! Khloe Kardashian is the latest in a series of celebrities to get in trouble for wearing Native American headdresses deemed by many as offensive. The reality star, 29, wore the feathered getup to her niece North West’s first birthday party on Saturday, June 21.
The party was called “Kidchella” after the famous music festival Coachella. Khloe posted a picture sitting cross-legged out by a tipi, writing, “Ray of clouds. Chirping of birds. Gurgling of water. Granting desire. One with water. #Kidchella my first Coachella!!!”
Khloe’s younger sister Kylie Jenner also posted a close up picture of French Montana’s girlfriend in the giant decorative headdress on Instagram.
Cliff Matias, the cultural director of the Redhawk Native American Arts Council, spoke to Page Six about Kardashian’s culturally costume choice.
“It’s terrible,” he said. “It’s absolutely terrible that they have no conscience to discontinue to do such things. I just can’t believe she would be that insensitive to think it was OK to wear that war bonnet at a kids’ party … Now you have a celebrity at a kids’ party creating a whole new generation of insensitive thinking.”
These “creative” choices have been an on-going problem, with Victoria’s Secret model Karlie Kloss wearing a floor-length headdress in the company’s 2012 fashion show, No Doubt’s 2012 “Looking Hot” music video (which they pulled from the air for Native American attire), and Pharrell Williams’ Elle UK’s July 2014 issue (which he apologized for).
These cases, paired with the current fight to get the Redskins football team’s name changed, made Khloe’s party attire even more inexcusable, according to Matias.
“There’s no way she’s not in tune with what’s been happening in the media,” he said. “I can’t even say she’s not even aware. But it’s also sad. It’s really sad that people who are celebrities don’t take the responsibility and the understanding that they are trendsetters and they influence people, especially young people. It’s a responsibility that I don’t think a lot of them acknowledge that they have.”
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBeautiful Family
From Crowd Ignite