Khloe Kardashian slammed by Native American Council for wearing insensitive headdress
- Photo: @khloekardashian/Instagram1 of 3
- Photo: @kyliejenner/Instagram2 of 3
More Celeb News
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court saysMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Writing and Producing His Own Projects to CreatMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:45:00 PM
- Jeff Blake's Departure at Sony Leaves Amy Pascal With No One Else to BlameMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: Chicago Fire's Triangle, a Scandal Death and Sleepy Sneakiness MSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Ken Burns 'Thrilled' About Central Park Five SettlementMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:27:00 PM
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court says
Harmless kid fun? Not really! Khloe Kardashian is the latest in a series of celebrities to get in trouble for wearing Native American headdresses deemed by many as offensive. The reality star, 29, wore the feathered getup to her niece North West’s first birthday party on Saturday, June 21.
The party was called “Kidchella” after the famous music festival Coachella. Khloe posted a picture sitting cross-legged out by a tipi, writing, “Ray of clouds. Chirping of birds. Gurgling of water. Granting desire. One with water. #Kidchella my first Coachella!!!”
Khloe’s younger sister Kylie Jenner also posted a close up picture of French Montana’s girlfriend in the giant decorative headdress on Instagram.
Cliff Matias, the cultural director of the Redhawk Native American Arts Council, spoke to Page Six about Kardashian’s culturally costume choice.
“It’s terrible,” he said. “It’s absolutely terrible that they have no conscience to discontinue to do such things. I just can’t believe she would be that insensitive to think it was OK to wear that war bonnet at a kids’ party … Now you have a celebrity at a kids’ party creating a whole new generation of insensitive thinking.”
These “creative” choices have been an on-going problem, with Victoria’s Secret model Karlie Kloss wearing a floor-length headdress in the company’s 2012 fashion show, No Doubt’s 2012 “Looking Hot” music video (which they pulled from the air for Native American attire), and Pharrell Williams’ Elle UK’s July 2014 issue (which he apologized for).
These cases, paired with the current fight to get the Redskins football team’s name changed, made Khloe’s party attire even more inexcusable, according to Matias.
“There’s no way she’s not in tune with what’s been happening in the media,” he said. “I can’t even say she’s not even aware. But it’s also sad. It’s really sad that people who are celebrities don’t take the responsibility and the understanding that they are trendsetters and they influence people, especially young people. It’s a responsibility that I don’t think a lot of them acknowledge that they have.”
RELATED ON WONDERWALL:
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, and Eva Longoria all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSummer Lovin'
From Crowd Ignite