Rob Lowe recalls talking with Monica Lewinsky about 'The West Wing'
- Photo: Corredor99/Invision/AP1 of 7
- Photo: Anonymous/Invision/AP2 of 7
- Photo: HELENE C. STIKKEL/Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN4 of 7
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet5 of 7
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- 'Big Bang Theory' halts production amid contract negotiationsMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 9:27:00 AM
- Michael Andreen Named SVP, Production at Fox InternationalMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 9:05:00 AM
- Ratings: NBC Tops Tuesday, 'Food Fighters' Rises From DebutMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 8:36:00 AM
- Richard Belzer's brother commits suicide - reportMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 8:20:50 AM
- APNewsBreak: Ventura passage to be cut from bookMSNEntertainment 7/30/2014 8:12:08 AM
- 'Big Bang Theory' halts production amid contract negotiations
Only in the '90s! Rob Lowe isn't just the narrator of National Geographic's "The '90s: The Last Great Decade?" special -- he's also one of its interviewees. Entertainment Weekly shared a clip from the upcoming miniseries on Tuesday, July 1, in which the "Parks and Recreation" actor recounts a truly original 1990s moment: meeting Monica Lewinsky on a plane as he was getting ready to star in Aaron Sorkin's White House drama "The West Wing."
"The West Wing," about a fictional U.S. President (Martin Sheen) and his senior staff, premiered on NBC in September 1999, almost exactly a year after Kenneth Starr detailed Lewinsky's affair with then-President Bill Clinton in the Starr Report.
"I think two or three days before we filmed the 'West Wing' pilot, I was reading the script and studying my lines on a plane," Lowe, now 50, recalls in the clip. "And I got the feeling of someone watching you -- you know how that can be? -- and I looked up across the aisle, and it was Monica Lewinsky."
"I had this moment, I thought, 'You know what? I gotta say this to her,'" he continues. "And I said, 'Listen, I just want you to know something. I'm about to do a show called 'The West Wing.' It's about the presidency. I think people are going to pay a lot of attention to it. And I just want you to know we're not doing anything about ... you know, so you don't need to worry.'"
Lewinsky, now 40, recalls the encounter, too. She says he was with his wife, Sheryl Berkoff, on a plane to Canada at the time. "I remember walking away thinking, 'Oh, he's a good guy,'" she says in the Nat Geo doc, her first televised interview since 2003. "'And I was right to have had a huge crush on him when I was a teenager.'"
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Gisele Bundchen to Channing Tatum, see which celebs introduced their babies on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite