Aisha Tyler opens up about her desperate efforts to become a mom
- Photo: Kevan Brooks/AdMedia/Retna Ltd.1 of 8
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks2 of 8
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage3 of 8
- Photo: Amanda Schwab/Invision/AP4 of 8
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage5 of 8
- Photo: Marion Curtis/StarTraks6 of 8
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage7 of 8
More Celeb News
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court saysMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Walking Dead' Star Steven Yeun Is Writing and Producing His Own Projects to CreatMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:45:00 PM
- Jeff Blake's Departure at Sony Leaves Amy Pascal With No One Else to BlameMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Mega Buzz: Chicago Fire's Triangle, a Scandal Death and Sleepy Sneakiness MSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Ken Burns 'Thrilled' About Central Park Five SettlementMSNEntertainment 7/22/2014 3:27:00 PM
- John Travolta cannot stop ex-pilot's tell-all lawsuit, court says
Actress Aisha Tyler fought back tears on Tuesday as she went public about her struggle to become a mother at the age of 42.
The star opened up about the troubles she has had trying to conceive with her attorney husband, Jeff Tietjens, during a candid chat on her daytime show "The Talk," revealing they have tried and failed to start a family naturally and even underwent painful and costly in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment.
An emotional Tyler explained, "I was told that I have some problems with a torturous fallopian tube, which makes it very hard for the sperm to get to the egg, so the doctors recommended that we maybe think about IVF. ... We went through the process of all these shots: They make your body crazy, they make you emotional, they hurt. And after going through a lot of procedures and spending a lot of money ... the doctor said, 'Look, based on what we're seeing here, I just don't think this is going to happen to you and I think you really need to think about whether you want to spend all this money and go through all this emotional effort and probably still not get pregnant.'
RELATED: Shocking social media confessions
"The hardest part, I think, is I really love my husband. He's such a good person and he would be such a great father ... but we just decided it wasn't worth it to go through that, so we decided to stop. ... It was better to not go through that torture. ... I feel terrible. ... 'I'm sorry that I can't do this for you, that I can't give you kids.'"
Tyler's revelation left her co-hosts, including rock matriarch Sharon Osbourne and actress Sara Gilbert, tearful, but she insisted she was OK and revealed she and her husband plan to wait before considering other parenting options. She added, "I love the idea of adoption, but I feel like this is such a fresh wound that I want to let it heal for a while before I think about what we could do."
RELATED: Shocking celebrity splits
Where Are They?
Find out where the cast from "When Harry Met Sally" is today.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See some of the cutest moments from Prince George's first year.Watch Video »
Derek Hough undergoes painful physical therapy to deal with a back injury, plus more stars seek professional tune ups on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Let's check out some of Eva's tactics behind her baby bump secret on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTexas Heat
From Crowd Ignite