Alec Baldwin inspired to quit Twitter by James Gandolfini
- Photo: AJ Mast/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.2 of 13
- Photo: Shaun Mader/PatrickMcMullan.com/.3 of 13
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA4 of 13
- Photo: JM11/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Jill Connelly/Invision/AP6 of 13
- Photo: NPA/WENN7 of 13
- Photo: Brian Flannery/Fame Flynet8 of 13
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks9 of 13
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.10 of 13
- Photo: WENN11 of 13
- Photo: Splash News12 of 13
More Celeb News
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action seriesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:48:47 PM
- AP Top Entertainment News At 6:22 p.m. EDTMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:52 PM
- Made in America music festival rocks Los AngelesMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:22:43 PM
- 'Escape From New York' Reboot Following 'Group' Thinking of &MSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:20:00 PM
- Joan Rivers Has Been Put on Life SupportMSNEntertainment 8/30/2014 3:06:00 PM
- 'Halo' makers shed light on live-action series
Alec Baldwin decided to quit Twitter while listening to the speeches at James Gandolfini's funeral because he realized the actor made a huge impact on the world without ever turning to social networking websites.
The "30 Rock" star was among the mourners who gathered at a church in New York City on Thursday, June 27, to pay their last respects to "The Sopranos" star, who died in Italy earlier this month.
Baldwin deactivated his account on Twitter hours after the service following an argument over an article which suggested his wife was tweeting throughout the funeral, but the actor says he made up his mind to give up social media before the dispute erupted.
He tells Gothamist.com, "I learned a lot when I was at Jimmy's funeral... One thing about Jimmy Gandolfini was that he wasn't on Twitter... He went and did his work, he put his energy into his work. And what I realized was that these social media things... Twitter and Tumblr and Vine and Instagram and Facebook and Myspace, all these things... that we were all told we had to have, and what we're realizing is that no you don't! No you don't. All this energy goes into these things, and for what?...
"I'm sitting there at Jimmy's funeral... and this stuff really is kind of superfluous... I realized... it certainly isn't worth the trouble."
When asked whether he will reactivate his Twitter account in the future, Baldwin replies, "No, good God no... I just want out. I just don't wanna deal with it anymore. I was sitting there at Jimmy Gandolfini's funeral and these people were talking about what a great person he was, what a great friend he was, father he was, what a great colleague he was."
RELATED: The royal couple's favorite sports
Added the actor: "Everybody in the business just admires him as an actor. He didn't think to himself, 'Man, I gotta have a Twitter, I gotta be Twittering.' I thought, 'You know something? I'm gonna take a lesson from Jimmy Gandolfini.' This media thing is a complete waste of time."
Get out the vote
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Get Mariah and Nick's marital woe breakdown on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Her Little Pony
Check out Khloe Kardashian, Kaley Cuoco and more stars who ride horses on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Gwyneth Paltrow, get the romance rumors on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTVenice Film Fest
From Crowd Ignite