Alec Baldwin inspired to quit Twitter by James Gandolfini
- Photo: AJ Mast/Invision/AP1 of 13
- Photo: Patrick McMullan/.2 of 13
- Photo: Shaun Mader/PatrickMcMullan.com/.3 of 13
- Photo: HBO/Rex USA4 of 13
- Photo: JM11/WENN5 of 13
- Photo: Jill Connelly/Invision/AP6 of 13
- Photo: NPA/WENN7 of 13
- Photo: Brian Flannery/Fame Flynet8 of 13
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks9 of 13
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Ltd.10 of 13
- Photo: WENN11 of 13
- Photo: Splash News12 of 13
More Celeb News
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:47:00 PM
- Does Mel Gibson Deserve Another Chance?MSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:22:00 PM
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Resumes Production This MonthMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:02:00 PM
- Obama pitches his health care plan on Funny or DieMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 4:01:01 PM
- ABC's Ratings the Most Glaring Challenge for Anne Sweeney's SuccessorMSNEntertainment 3/11/2014 3:58:00 PM
- American Idol: Is This the Most Boring Group of Contestants Ever?
Alec Baldwin decided to quit Twitter while listening to the speeches at James Gandolfini's funeral because he realized the actor made a huge impact on the world without ever turning to social networking websites.
The "30 Rock" star was among the mourners who gathered at a church in New York City on Thursday, June 27, to pay their last respects to "The Sopranos" star, who died in Italy earlier this month.
Baldwin deactivated his account on Twitter hours after the service following an argument over an article which suggested his wife was tweeting throughout the funeral, but the actor says he made up his mind to give up social media before the dispute erupted.
He tells Gothamist.com, "I learned a lot when I was at Jimmy's funeral... One thing about Jimmy Gandolfini was that he wasn't on Twitter... He went and did his work, he put his energy into his work. And what I realized was that these social media things... Twitter and Tumblr and Vine and Instagram and Facebook and Myspace, all these things... that we were all told we had to have, and what we're realizing is that no you don't! No you don't. All this energy goes into these things, and for what?...
"I'm sitting there at Jimmy's funeral... and this stuff really is kind of superfluous... I realized... it certainly isn't worth the trouble."
When asked whether he will reactivate his Twitter account in the future, Baldwin replies, "No, good God no... I just want out. I just don't wanna deal with it anymore. I was sitting there at Jimmy Gandolfini's funeral and these people were talking about what a great person he was, what a great friend he was, father he was, what a great colleague he was."
RELATED: The royal couple's favorite sports
Added the actor: "Everybody in the business just admires him as an actor. He didn't think to himself, 'Man, I gotta have a Twitter, I gotta be Twittering.' I thought, 'You know something? I'm gonna take a lesson from Jimmy Gandolfini.' This media thing is a complete waste of time."
Get out the vote
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicole Richie, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion OffendersWatch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
Kim Kardashian, Bar Refaeli and Heidi Klum share their best bikini pics on social media on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite