Alec Baldwin's daughter on voicemail scandal: 'My dad has moved on'
- Photo: IZ2/http://www.wenn.com/1 of 7
- Photo: CMG/ZOJ/WENN2 of 7
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet3 of 7
- Photo: IZ2/Izzy/http://www.wenn.com/4 of 7
- Photo: Zeus/Fame Flynet5 of 7
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Teams With Spritz Reading App to Make EveryonMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 11:38:00 AM
- 'Hunger Games: Mockingjay' First Reveal at Comic-Con: Philip Seymour Hoffman IntroMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 11:14:00 AM
- AMC Greenlights Afghanistan Drama Pilot 'White City'MSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 10:49:00 AM
- Is WGN America's Manhattan a Blast? 4 Reasons to Watch the Atomic DramaMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 10:30:00 AM
- 'Lucy' Scores $2.74 Million on Thursday Night, 'Hercules' GruntsMSNEntertainment 7/25/2014 10:24:00 AM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Teams With Spritz Reading App to Make Everyon
Alec Baldwin's teenage daughter, Ireland, has defended her decision to follow her parents into the spotlight, insisting she doesn't want to be remembered for her father's infamous voicemail scandal.
Ireland Baldwin, whose mother is actress Kim Basinger, was just 11 years old when she was caught up in a headline-grabbing incident in 2007, when her famous father branded her a "rude, thoughtless little pig" in a leaked voicemail message.
RELATED: Best TMI tweets
The actor subsequently admitted he contemplated suicide after the scandal, and now Ireland, 17, has spoken out to declare she wants her newly launched modeling career to mark a fresh start.
In an open letter posted on her blog, she writes, "I get hateful replies and threats regarding mistakes of my Dad's past. This isn't fair. I had nothing to do with anything that happened back then, so I don't fully understand why I am being targeted. More importantly, my Dad has moved on. He recognized that he needed to change, so he made changes. He is now healthy, happily married with a baby on the way. He moved on, so why can't you?"
RELATED: Best star comebacks
"I am not seeking fame by association ... I am proud to be my parent's daughter, but I don't want to forever be known as 'that rude thoughtless little pig' or 'Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger's kid.' I have passions and interests of my own that I want to soon give life to."
Ireland also reveals she has received a barrage of criticism since stepping into the spotlight, and urges her detractors not to be so nasty.
She adds, "I get those comments about how I am too fat to model, how I am not model material, how I am an unattractive girl ... I don't look as glamorous as Rosie Huntington-Whiteley... What is the good in commenting on a photo of a 17-year-old girl and calling her fat, ugly, etc? ... Putting that out there is hateful and unhealthy. If you don't have a complimentary thing to say about someone, keep it to yourself."
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Nick Cannon shows off a new cheetah print hairstyle on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Gwen Stefani shares photos from behind the scenes of a photo shoot for her Harajuku brand on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best B-Day Ever?
Selena Gomez celebrates her birthday early with a helicopter ride in Italy with new pal Cara Delevingne on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Chrissy Teigen, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga spotlight their pooches on today's Celeb Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian and Kanye West to Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher, check out the cutest celeb PDA.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTDown-low Romance
From Crowd Ignite