Amber Portwood, 'Teen Mom' star, released from prison almost four years early
- Photo: Butterworth/Massie/SplashNews/Splash News1 of 10
- Photo: Ruano/Flynetpictures.com/Wonderwall2 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee / Brian Prahl/Splash News3 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee / Brian Prahl/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: LOMELI/Bauer-Griffin5 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News7 of 10
- Photo: Deano /Ferrett/Splash News8 of 10
- Photo: .9 of 10
More Celeb News
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and DevelopmentMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 4:31:00 PM
- Bryan Singer Accuser Michael Egan Drops Sex Abuse LawsuitMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Pivot Network Now Available on College Streaming Service PhiloMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:31:00 PM
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale Attracts 2.3 Million ViewersMSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Chiller 'As Above, So Below' Tries to Put Scare Into 'Guardians'MSNEntertainment 8/27/2014 2:53:00 PM
- NBC Promotes Jenny Groom to Senior Vice President, Alternative Programming and Development
Is it 2017 already? Teen Mom alum Amber Portwood, who was sentenced to five years in prison in January 2012, was released on Nov. 4, 2013 -- almost four years earlier than originally anticipated.
The former MTV reality star (mom to daughter Leah, 4, with ex-boyfriend Gary Shirley) was photographed leaving Rockville Correctional Facility in Rockville, Ind., in gray sweatpants, a gray sweatshirt, and white sneakers. She also had on a white T-shirt printed with the words "Breaking Free From Addiction," which she flashed as she hugged and greeted loved ones outside the prison, where she had been locked up for a year and four months.
Portwood's release comes almost four years before her scheduled date and just a little over a month after her brother Shawn Portwood announced on Twitter that his sister was getting out early. "Congratulations sis. I am so happy that you are finally being released," he wrote on Sept. 24. "You did everything you needed to do to get out long before 5 years."
The troubled star, now 23, began what was supposed to be a five-year prison sentence at Indiana's Rockville Correctional Facility in June 2012, after she was arrested in December 2011 on drug-related charges. Prior to that incident, she had had multiple other run-ins with officials.
In November 2010, while still appearing on Teen Mom, Portwood was charged with domestic violence toward on-again, off-again boyfriend Shirley. Seven months later, after a June 2011 suicide attempt, she completed a rehab stint at Seasons Recovery Center in Malibu, Calif.
Time will tell whether Portwood has really learned from her past mistakes, but her brother, at least, believes she's taken a turn for the better. "Will be heading up to Indiana in a few days to see my sister," Shawn tweeted on Oct. 30. "Can't wait until she gets out and proves she is a changed woman."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on Bradley Bayou's dress design that Oprah wore to the Emmy Awards.Watch Video »
Beyonce does her best to prove that her family life is just perfect on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
The guys from Rascal Flatts talk with Wonderwall editor Jessica Herndon about life on tour, crazy fan encounters and more.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez reunites with Casper Smart, plus more famous friendly exes on Replay, hosted by Wonderwall's Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out Kaley Cuoco's cutest canine-centric posts on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Golden Globe Style
Cojo predicts the trends for the 2010 Golden Globes.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPup Power
From Crowd Ignite