Amber Portwood, 'Teen Mom' star, released from prison almost four years early
- Photo: Butterworth/Massie/SplashNews/Splash News1 of 10
- Photo: Ruano/Flynetpictures.com/Wonderwall2 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee / Brian Prahl/Splash News3 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee / Brian Prahl/Splash News4 of 10
- Photo: LOMELI/Bauer-Griffin5 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News6 of 10
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News7 of 10
- Photo: Deano /Ferrett/Splash News8 of 10
- Photo: .9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Gotham' Stars Donal Logue and Robin Lord Taylor Talk 'Trying to Merge LiMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 7:00:00 AM
- Review: Kenny Chesney shows the way on new albumMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 6:54:00 AM
- 9 Marquez e-books coming out in EnglishMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 6:52:02 AM
- Maestro Muti skipping strike-plagued Rome theaterMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 6:49:44 AM
- APNewsBreak: 'The Lion King' makes historyMSNEntertainment 9/22/2014 6:46:02 AM
- 'Gotham' Stars Donal Logue and Robin Lord Taylor Talk 'Trying to Merge Li
Is it 2017 already? Teen Mom alum Amber Portwood, who was sentenced to five years in prison in January 2012, was released on Nov. 4, 2013 -- almost four years earlier than originally anticipated.
The former MTV reality star (mom to daughter Leah, 4, with ex-boyfriend Gary Shirley) was photographed leaving Rockville Correctional Facility in Rockville, Ind., in gray sweatpants, a gray sweatshirt, and white sneakers. She also had on a white T-shirt printed with the words "Breaking Free From Addiction," which she flashed as she hugged and greeted loved ones outside the prison, where she had been locked up for a year and four months.
Portwood's release comes almost four years before her scheduled date and just a little over a month after her brother Shawn Portwood announced on Twitter that his sister was getting out early. "Congratulations sis. I am so happy that you are finally being released," he wrote on Sept. 24. "You did everything you needed to do to get out long before 5 years."
The troubled star, now 23, began what was supposed to be a five-year prison sentence at Indiana's Rockville Correctional Facility in June 2012, after she was arrested in December 2011 on drug-related charges. Prior to that incident, she had had multiple other run-ins with officials.
In November 2010, while still appearing on Teen Mom, Portwood was charged with domestic violence toward on-again, off-again boyfriend Shirley. Seven months later, after a June 2011 suicide attempt, she completed a rehab stint at Seasons Recovery Center in Malibu, Calif.
Time will tell whether Portwood has really learned from her past mistakes, but her brother, at least, believes she's taken a turn for the better. "Will be heading up to Indiana in a few days to see my sister," Shawn tweeted on Oct. 30. "Can't wait until she gets out and proves she is a changed woman."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite