'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood released from jail early, brother says
- Photo: Butterworth/Massie/SplashNews/Splash News1 of 11
- Photo: Ruano/Flynetpictures.com/Wonderwall2 of 11
- Photo: Jackson Lee / Brian Prahl/Splash News3 of 11
- Photo: Jackson Lee / Brian Prahl/Splash News4 of 11
- Photo: LOMELI/Bauer-Griffin5 of 11
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News6 of 11
- Photo: Jackson Lee/Splash News7 of 11
- Photo: Deano /Ferrett/Splash News8 of 11
- Photo: .9 of 11
- Photo: Deano/Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media GroupMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:37:00 PM
- Managers Call SAG-AFTRA's Code of Ethics 'DOA' After SurveyMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:31:00 PM
- FX's 'Archer' Renewed for 2 More SeasonsMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Insiders: Andrew Garfield Rewrote Batkid Oscars Speech, Thought Segment Was ExploitativeMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:54:00 PM
- CW's Uncensored 'Reign' Sex Scenes Are 'Appalling,' SayMSNEntertainment 3/6/2014 3:22:00 PM
- Disney to Make Chinese Co-Productions With Shanghai Media Group
Amber Portwood may be coming home! The "Teen Mom" star is being released from jail almost four years before her initial release date, claims her brother Shawn Portwood. The MTV reality star's sibling took to Twitter on Sept. 24 to share the surprising news.
"Congratulations sis. I am so happy that you are finally being released. You did everything you needed to do to get out long before 5 years," he wrote. "I received an email and text last night by the IDOC [Indiana Department of Correction] about her release but wanted to keep it secret bc that is what Amber wanted," he added.
Portwood, now 23, began a five-year prison sentence at Indiana's Rockville Correctional Facility in June 2012 instead of completing a court-ordered drug rehabilitation program. No further information about why Portwood is being released early is available.
"In my situation, I felt in the program there were a lot of eyes on me," the star told ABC News at the time. "And it was very uncomfortable. I was not using my anti-psych medication, even," she shared. "I was very depressed, all alone, all bitter at everyone. I felt like that wasn't the life I wanted to live, I felt like I'd rather do my time and get it over with."
The mom of daughter Leah, 4, with on-again off-again boyfriend Gary Shirley, had quite the downfall while appearing on the MTV series from 2009 to 2012. Portwood previously was charged with domestic violence toward Shirley in November 2010. Seven months later, she would complete a rehab stint at Seasons Recovery Center in Malibu, Calif., following a June 2011 suicide attempt. After a December 2011 drug arrest (for which she ultimately decided to go to jail), Shirley was awarded full custody of Leah.
Portwood has only served one year and three months of her initial five-year prison sentence. The exact date of release is unknown, but her brother Shawn hints that it will be sooner rather than later. "Not today but fairly soon," he replied to a follower after shedding light on the situation.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Check out the many ways that Britney Spears is looking better than ever.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Ladies Who Cook
Find out where Drew Barrymore and Reese Witherspoon are and what they're doing on their latest "girl's trip" on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Star Inspired Ink
From Ryan Cabrera to Megan Fox, see celebs who've gotten tattoos of other stars.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite