Anderson Cooper defends Anne Hathaway: I don't understand the hatred
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: IZ2/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/Getty Images North America6 of 10
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper to Star in Legendary's 'Warcraft'MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 3:59:45 PM
- The Ultimate Year-End Trailer Mashup To End All Mashups (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 3:44:37 PM
- TheWrap Screening Series: How India's Oscar Contender Rejected Bollywood on the Way to HollMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 3:10:37 PM
- A TV Bidding War for Tim Tebow?MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 3:09:02 PM
- Best & Worst 2013: 11 Most Shocking Deaths on TVMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 2:51:18 PM
- Ben Foster, Dominic Cooper to Star in Legendary's 'Warcraft'
Anne Hathaway married her knight in shining armor -- Adam Shulman -- last September, but Anderson Cooper is keen on defending the Oscar-winning star's honor as well. On his show Thursday, the "Anderson Live" host marveled at the vitriol leveled towards the "Les Miserables" star, 30, for her mode of acceptance speeches, her last-minute Academy Awards dress switch and other matters.
"In our morning meeting today, we were talking about this and the level of hatred people have towards Anne Hathaway; I had no idea. She seems like a perfectly lovely person," Cooper mused of the Best Supporting Actress victor. "I don't understand. She's incredibly talented, she seems like a lovely person, I think she's been through a lot. People have all these judgments about her; they don't know what she's really like ... It upset me."
When a co-host sniped that Hathaway's Oscar speech was "terrible," Cooper argued back, "She got up there, she made eye contact, she remembered people's names without reading it. I mean, give her a break."
He continued of the star, who took the extra step of later explaining why she ditched her Valentino gown for a Prada creation on Oscar Sunday, "the amount of pressure she must feel knowing all these people hate her -- give her a break; she seems like a lovely young person. Again, people form all these opinions on people based on nothing. You have no actual evidence."
Cooper clarified, "I've got no dog in this hunt. I don't know Anne Hathaway. It just seems so completely unfair to me. I had no idea this whole hatred existed, I feel like I've just woken up and realized the entire universe is attacking her and I feel bad for her and I am defending her."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Check out which of Hollywood's geeky guys get all the hottest ladies.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See how Kim Kardashian, Fergie, Duchess Kate and more celebs look now that they've lost their pregnancy weight.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTYear in Romance
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite