Anderson Cooper defends Anne Hathaway: I don't understand the hatred
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: IZ2/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/Getty Images North America6 of 10
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- 'Agents of SHIELD's' Elena Satine to Join 'Revenge'MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:51:00 AM
- How 'Boyhood' Editor Sandra Adair Stitched 12 Long Years Into the Year's MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:43:00 AM
- 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' 9/11 Poster Shell Shocks Social MediaMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:14:00 AM
- Ice Cube, Dr. Dre Find Their MC Ren, DJ Yella for N.W.A. BiopicMSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 11:00:00 AM
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Star Zoe Saldana Poses Nude for Women's Health MSNEntertainment 7/29/2014 10:52:00 AM
- 'Agents of SHIELD's' Elena Satine to Join 'Revenge'
Anne Hathaway married her knight in shining armor -- Adam Shulman -- last September, but Anderson Cooper is keen on defending the Oscar-winning star's honor as well. On his show Thursday, the "Anderson Live" host marveled at the vitriol leveled towards the "Les Miserables" star, 30, for her mode of acceptance speeches, her last-minute Academy Awards dress switch and other matters.
"In our morning meeting today, we were talking about this and the level of hatred people have towards Anne Hathaway; I had no idea. She seems like a perfectly lovely person," Cooper mused of the Best Supporting Actress victor. "I don't understand. She's incredibly talented, she seems like a lovely person, I think she's been through a lot. People have all these judgments about her; they don't know what she's really like ... It upset me."
When a co-host sniped that Hathaway's Oscar speech was "terrible," Cooper argued back, "She got up there, she made eye contact, she remembered people's names without reading it. I mean, give her a break."
He continued of the star, who took the extra step of later explaining why she ditched her Valentino gown for a Prada creation on Oscar Sunday, "the amount of pressure she must feel knowing all these people hate her -- give her a break; she seems like a lovely young person. Again, people form all these opinions on people based on nothing. You have no actual evidence."
Cooper clarified, "I've got no dog in this hunt. I don't know Anne Hathaway. It just seems so completely unfair to me. I had no idea this whole hatred existed, I feel like I've just woken up and realized the entire universe is attacking her and I feel bad for her and I am defending her."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Joe Manganiello parties with new love Sofia Vergara and her family in Miami on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Selena Gomez, Zoe Saldana, and Maggie Gyllenhaal all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
It's been 20 years since "Jurassic Park" came out. See what the cast of the movie is up to these days.Watch Video »
Find out which stars attended Jennifer Lopez's birthday celebration on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where'd He Go?
Find out what happened to the stars of 'Garden State' after they made the hit indie film.Watch Video »
Check out some of January Jones' most retro wardrobe choices from over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTTerrible Trends
From Crowd Ignite