Anderson Cooper defends Anne Hathaway: I don't understand the hatred
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: IZ2/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/Getty Images North America6 of 10
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Lena Dunham Reacts to Naked Critics Makes, Deletes Molestation Joke on TwitterMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 11:14:00 PM
- Katie Couric to Interview Michael Bloomberg for YahooMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:57:00 PM
- Lindsay Lohan Is a 'Prisoner' on OWN Series: 'It's My Last Shot&MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:24:00 PM
- Emerson College Opens L.A. Campus on Sunset Blvd. With Hollywood Gala (Photos)MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 9:11:00 PM
- 'True Detective' Season Finale: Darkness, Yeah-uhMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 8:02:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Reacts to Naked Critics Makes, Deletes Molestation Joke on Twitter
Anne Hathaway married her knight in shining armor -- Adam Shulman -- last September, but Anderson Cooper is keen on defending the Oscar-winning star's honor as well. On his show Thursday, the "Anderson Live" host marveled at the vitriol leveled towards the "Les Miserables" star, 30, for her mode of acceptance speeches, her last-minute Academy Awards dress switch and other matters.
"In our morning meeting today, we were talking about this and the level of hatred people have towards Anne Hathaway; I had no idea. She seems like a perfectly lovely person," Cooper mused of the Best Supporting Actress victor. "I don't understand. She's incredibly talented, she seems like a lovely person, I think she's been through a lot. People have all these judgments about her; they don't know what she's really like ... It upset me."
When a co-host sniped that Hathaway's Oscar speech was "terrible," Cooper argued back, "She got up there, she made eye contact, she remembered people's names without reading it. I mean, give her a break."
He continued of the star, who took the extra step of later explaining why she ditched her Valentino gown for a Prada creation on Oscar Sunday, "the amount of pressure she must feel knowing all these people hate her -- give her a break; she seems like a lovely young person. Again, people form all these opinions on people based on nothing. You have no actual evidence."
Cooper clarified, "I've got no dog in this hunt. I don't know Anne Hathaway. It just seems so completely unfair to me. I had no idea this whole hatred existed, I feel like I've just woken up and realized the entire universe is attacking her and I feel bad for her and I am defending her."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
The Rock flexes massive muscle while getting sentimental on Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Katy Perry, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Sarah Michelle Gellar talks to Wonderwall's Chris Gardner about "terrifying" paparazzi, growing veggies with her daughter, why she never went to rehab.Watch Video »
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Christina Aguilera to Jennifer Hudson, see some of Hollywood's ever-changing waistlines.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite