Anderson Cooper: I went temporarily blind
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN1 of 17
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks2 of 17
- Photo: IZ2/WENN3 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP4 of 17
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Jeff Roberson/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: WENN11 of 17
- Photo: @andersoncooper/Twitter12 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP13 of 17
- Photo: AP1/http://www.wenn.com/14 of 17
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP15 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 8:13:21 AM
- Dogs 'muttbomb' celebrities to boost adoptionsMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:55:32 AM
- Book of Oprah Winfrey columns to be published in fallMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 7:06:17 AM
- Hogan's Heroes Star Cynthia Lynn Dies at 76MSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:39:00 AM
- Review: 'Need for Speed' a thrilling stunt festMSNEntertainment 3/12/2014 6:27:14 AM
- Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91
Anderson Cooper is opening up about a health scare last week that caused him to go blind for 36 hours while he was shooting on location out of the country.
On today's episode of his daytime talk show "Anderson Live," Cooper said he woke up in the middle of the night with burning eyes and later discovered that he'd temporarily gone blind while shooting a story for the CBS News show "60 Minutes" in Portugal.
He said the shooting schedule required him to be on a boat for a few hours on an overcast day and he later discovered that and the sun exposure caused his eye problems. "I wake up in the middle of the night and it feels like my eyes are on fire -- my eyeballs -- and I think, oh maybe I have sand in my eyes or something," he explained. "I douse my eyes with water. Anyway, it turns out I have sunburned my eyeballs and I go blind."
Cooper, 45, said he had no idea it was possible for sun exposure to cause blindness, which in his case lasted 36 hours. He also shows a couple of photos showing him wearing patches over his eyes. "That's my new Match.com profile picture by the way, I think that's going to really work for me," he joked to his guest-host, Christie Brinkley.
Tune in to Tuesday's edition of "Anderson Live" for more -- including a visit by "Dancing with the Stars" contender Gilles Marini, who shows off some of his best dance moves with Brinkley.
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Brad Pitt to Ian Somerhalder, see some of Hollywood's sexiest vampires.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See where the cast of "Cruel Intentions" is today.Watch Video »
Find out what Oscar winners Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong’o have been up to since the Academy Awards on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out Sandra Bullock's fabulous and colorful style.Watch Video »
From Channing Tatum to Jennifer Lawrence, see which celebs got their start modeling.Watch Video »
From the Atkins Diet to aerial fitness classes, see what stars like Kim Kardashian, Jessica Alba and Beyonce do to keep in shape.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite