Anderson Cooper Slams Star Jones for Comments on His Coming-Out
- Photo: WENN1 of 19
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage2 of 19
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: RWO/WENN4 of 19
- Photo: IZ2/WENN5 of 19
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP6 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 19
- Photo: Jeff Roberson/Invision/AP8 of 19
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 19
- Photo: GG/Fame Flynet10 of 19
- Photo: WENN11 of 19
- Photo: WENN12 of 19
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage13 of 19
- Photo: @andersoncooper/Twitter14 of 19
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP15 of 19
- Photo: AP1/http://www.wenn.com/16 of 19
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com18 of 19
More Celeb News
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:40:00 PM
- Nicki Minaj Welcome at This NY High School, After Alma Mater Rejects HerMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 3:14:00 PM
- Ashley Judd Has Tough Couple of Weekends at Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:47:00 PM
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Claims She Was Detained by LAPD, Mistaken for ProstitutMSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 2:36:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars' Julianne Hough: "I Might Be Even Harder on Derek"MSNEntertainment 9/14/2014 1:34:00 PM
- W. Kamau Bell Laments "The Whiteness of Late Night"
Anderson Cooper is lashing out at Star Jones for suggesting that his public acknowledgment in an email earlier this year that he's gay was a ploy to boost TV ratings.
During an exchange with Bravo TV personality Andy Cohen, who was guest-hosting with Cooper on his talk show "Anderson Live," the newsman-talk show host said that despite generally favorable reaction to his coming-out, Jones was out of line in her comments on a TV morning show.
"The only thing that did kind of annoy me -- and actually it annoyed my mom, who brought it up to me -- Star Jones, of all people," Cooper says in a clip from Thursday's episode of "Anderson Live." "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. ... Anyway, out of the blue, Star Jones said after I sent this email, Star Jones said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings."
Cohen points out that at the time Jones made the comments, Cooper's talk show was actually on a break and he was also on an assignment on CNN that kept him off the air for several days after his announcement.
"That's why it so annoyed me," Cooper adds. "Because of all the ways to boost ratings, like if I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on a very special episode, that would have been promoed for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials. ... But instead I was in Africa on assignment for '60 Minutes,' I sent an email to a friend of mine who put it on a website. I gave no interviews about it, I never talked about it."
Watch the clip to hear Cooper's criticism of Jones for "hawking her wedding every single day to get free products" and "lying about her gastric bypass surgery."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out the many women who have been wooed by George Clooney over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
From Crowd Ignite