Anderson Cooper: Why I Decided to Come Out Publicly
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks2 of 17
- Photo: Pacific Coast News3 of 17
- Photo: IZ2/WENN4 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Pictures/Fame Flynet7 of 17
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: WENN11 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: AP1/http://www.wenn.com/13 of 17
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: @AndersonCooper/Twitter/Promotional15 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Tarantino's 'Hateful 8' Teaser Basically Just Lists Names of His CharacteMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:24:00 AM
- Jason Katims Developing Medical Drama for CBSMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:08:00 AM
- Dating Naked Contestant Sues VH1 for Airing Crotch ShotMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 6:05:00 AM
- 5 Freaky Facts From Fractured Summer Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 5:00:00 AM
- 'Big Brother' Live Eviction: Julie Chen Takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, HouseguestMSNEntertainment 8/22/2014 2:21:00 AM
- Tarantino's 'Hateful 8' Teaser Basically Just Lists Names of His Characte
Anderson Cooper is ready to share his side of the story.
In early July, the CNN journalist and daytime talk show host came out of the closet publicly when he gave The Daily Beast permission to reprint an email to political blogger Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper wrote to Sullivan, a longtime friend.
During the second season premiere of "Anderson" on Sept. 10, the 45-year-old host explained why he finally decided to share the news with the world.
"Now I'm blushing and I'm getting nervous," Cooper giggled when guest co-host Kristin Chenoweth, 44, asked him about his summer. "I came out in high school. I told my friends, I told my family. I've always been out to my co-workers and stuff. It's just not something I talked about publicly, because as a reporter, I didn't think it was appropriate. It didn't seem like part of my job."
"It just got to the point where -- I've been torn for a long time between a desire as a reporter to just do my job and be known as a reporter -- and at the same time I do think visibility is important. I do think that the tide of history only moves forward when everyone is fully visible," Cooper explained. "I didn't want to send a message that there was anything I was ashamed about or unhappy about or not comfortable with. That was the main thing for me."
"I appreciate all the support I got and all the encouragement," said Cooper, who is the son of heiress, fashion designer and philanthropist Gloria Vanderbilt. "I am the same person I always was, I do the job just the same way."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Check out the sweet shots Jaime King, Mario Lopez, Snooki and more stars shared of their babies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Fresh from their split, Hilary Duff vacations with husband Mike Comrie and their son on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out some of the most memorable Emmy fashion from over the years.Watch Video »
Check out Jessica Alba's baseball skills on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
Check out the many sexy bikinis Jessica Alba has rocked over the years.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTBare Beauties
From Crowd Ignite