Anderson Cooper: Why I Decided to Come Out Publicly
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks2 of 17
- Photo: Pacific Coast News3 of 17
- Photo: IZ2/WENN4 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Pictures/Fame Flynet7 of 17
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: WENN11 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: AP1/http://www.wenn.com/13 of 17
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: @AndersonCooper/Twitter/Promotional15 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Ratings: 'Voice' Rebounds, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Fall Finale FlatMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 8:26:57 AM
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine useMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:49:55 AM
- Jude Law Gets Filthy in 'Dom Hemingway' Red Band Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:43:50 AM
- 'SNL' Promos: Paul Rudd Geeks Out Over One Direction, Can't Remember VaneMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:40:55 AM
- 'House of Cards' Season 2 Debuting on Valentine's DayMSNEntertainment 12/4/2013 7:37:46 AM
- Ratings: 'Voice' Rebounds, 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Fall Finale Flat
Anderson Cooper is ready to share his side of the story.
In early July, the CNN journalist and daytime talk show host came out of the closet publicly when he gave The Daily Beast permission to reprint an email to political blogger Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper wrote to Sullivan, a longtime friend.
During the second season premiere of "Anderson" on Sept. 10, the 45-year-old host explained why he finally decided to share the news with the world.
"Now I'm blushing and I'm getting nervous," Cooper giggled when guest co-host Kristin Chenoweth, 44, asked him about his summer. "I came out in high school. I told my friends, I told my family. I've always been out to my co-workers and stuff. It's just not something I talked about publicly, because as a reporter, I didn't think it was appropriate. It didn't seem like part of my job."
"It just got to the point where -- I've been torn for a long time between a desire as a reporter to just do my job and be known as a reporter -- and at the same time I do think visibility is important. I do think that the tide of history only moves forward when everyone is fully visible," Cooper explained. "I didn't want to send a message that there was anything I was ashamed about or unhappy about or not comfortable with. That was the main thing for me."
"I appreciate all the support I got and all the encouragement," said Cooper, who is the son of heiress, fashion designer and philanthropist Gloria Vanderbilt. "I am the same person I always was, I do the job just the same way."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift shares stunning photos of her time in New Zealand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, Khloe Kardashian and more are spotted at Drake's concert in Los Angeles on today’s Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See the first photos of Mario Lopez's newborn son, Dominic Lopez, on today's Celebs Gone Social ...Watch Video »
From Elsa Pataky to Ginnifer Goodwin, see some of Hollywood's new baby bumps on Wonderwall Replay.Watch Video »
Get all the pregnancy rumor scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTYear in Romance
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite