Anderson Cooper: Why I Decided to Come Out Publicly
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks2 of 17
- Photo: Pacific Coast News3 of 17
- Photo: IZ2/WENN4 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Pictures/Fame Flynet7 of 17
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: WENN11 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: AP1/http://www.wenn.com/13 of 17
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: @AndersonCooper/Twitter/Promotional15 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&aposMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:24:00 PM
- 8 Things That Will and 2 Things That (Probably) Won't Happen on Big Bang Theory Season 8MSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 2:19:00 PM
- Leonardo DiCaprio Adds Star Power to People's Climate March in New YorkMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:41:00 PM
- Scarlett Johansson's 'Lucy' Crosses $250 Million at Overseas Box OfficeMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 12:05:00 PM
- Lauryn Hill Slammed on Twitter for 'Utter Shi-' Performance and 90 Minute Late ArrMSNEntertainment 9/21/2014 11:38:00 AM
- Meagan Good Rips Fans for Reposting Her Leaked Nude Photos: 'You Should Be Ashamed&apos
Anderson Cooper is ready to share his side of the story.
In early July, the CNN journalist and daytime talk show host came out of the closet publicly when he gave The Daily Beast permission to reprint an email to political blogger Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper wrote to Sullivan, a longtime friend.
During the second season premiere of "Anderson" on Sept. 10, the 45-year-old host explained why he finally decided to share the news with the world.
"Now I'm blushing and I'm getting nervous," Cooper giggled when guest co-host Kristin Chenoweth, 44, asked him about his summer. "I came out in high school. I told my friends, I told my family. I've always been out to my co-workers and stuff. It's just not something I talked about publicly, because as a reporter, I didn't think it was appropriate. It didn't seem like part of my job."
"It just got to the point where -- I've been torn for a long time between a desire as a reporter to just do my job and be known as a reporter -- and at the same time I do think visibility is important. I do think that the tide of history only moves forward when everyone is fully visible," Cooper explained. "I didn't want to send a message that there was anything I was ashamed about or unhappy about or not comfortable with. That was the main thing for me."
"I appreciate all the support I got and all the encouragement," said Cooper, who is the son of heiress, fashion designer and philanthropist Gloria Vanderbilt. "I am the same person I always was, I do the job just the same way."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Take a peek at Jessica Simpson’s kissy Instagram feed on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Get the scoop on the RHONJ stars' recent whereabouts on Replay.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite