Anderson Cooper: Why I Decided to Come Out Publicly
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks2 of 17
- Photo: Pacific Coast News3 of 17
- Photo: IZ2/WENN4 of 17
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 17
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP6 of 17
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Pictures/Fame Flynet7 of 17
- Photo: Patrick Semansky/Invision/AP8 of 17
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 17
- Photo: WENN10 of 17
- Photo: WENN11 of 17
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP12 of 17
- Photo: AP1/http://www.wenn.com/13 of 17
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP14 of 17
- Photo: @AndersonCooper/Twitter/Promotional15 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com16 of 17
More Celeb News
- HBO's Beyonce-Jay Z 'On the Run Tour' Documentary Slayed Fans: The Best TMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 8:56:00 PM
- TLC's 'Little People, Big World' Star Jeremy Roloff's Wedding FiMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 6:17:00 PM
- Investigating Veronica Mars: Creator Rob Thomas on the Show's Enduring Legacy 10 Years LateMSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 8 Crazy Things to Expect on Sleepy Hollow Season 2MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:32:00 PM
- Emmy Winner and Singer Polly Bergen Dies at 84MSNEntertainment 9/20/2014 3:22:00 PM
- HBO's Beyonce-Jay Z 'On the Run Tour' Documentary Slayed Fans: The Best T
Anderson Cooper is ready to share his side of the story.
In early July, the CNN journalist and daytime talk show host came out of the closet publicly when he gave The Daily Beast permission to reprint an email to political blogger Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper wrote to Sullivan, a longtime friend.
During the second season premiere of "Anderson" on Sept. 10, the 45-year-old host explained why he finally decided to share the news with the world.
"Now I'm blushing and I'm getting nervous," Cooper giggled when guest co-host Kristin Chenoweth, 44, asked him about his summer. "I came out in high school. I told my friends, I told my family. I've always been out to my co-workers and stuff. It's just not something I talked about publicly, because as a reporter, I didn't think it was appropriate. It didn't seem like part of my job."
"It just got to the point where -- I've been torn for a long time between a desire as a reporter to just do my job and be known as a reporter -- and at the same time I do think visibility is important. I do think that the tide of history only moves forward when everyone is fully visible," Cooper explained. "I didn't want to send a message that there was anything I was ashamed about or unhappy about or not comfortable with. That was the main thing for me."
"I appreciate all the support I got and all the encouragement," said Cooper, who is the son of heiress, fashion designer and philanthropist Gloria Vanderbilt. "I am the same person I always was, I do the job just the same way."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Julianne Hough, Victoria Beckham, and Nicole Scherzinger all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Gisele Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio and more models share sweet snaps with their kids, hosted by Wonderwall correspondent Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Lindsay Lohan, Cara Delevingne, and Rita Ora all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber: The 3-D movie
Aug. 4: The teen sensation will star as himself in the film due out Valentine's Day. Plus, Lady...Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Megan Fox, and Kate Walsh all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTJLaw at iHeart
From Crowd Ignite