Report: No Comfort From Curry To Ailing Robin Roberts
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: Peter Kramer/KRAPE2 of 15
- Photo: NBC/WENN3 of 15
- Photo: @MLauer/Twitter4 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Digital6 of 15
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 15
- Photo: ABC News/.10 of 15
- Photo: Kyle Rover/StarTraks11 of 15
- Photo: Ida Mae Astute/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Twitter/.13 of 15
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/GettyImages.com14 of 15
More Celeb News
- 4 Reasons Why We're Frustrated with The Mindy ProjectMSNEntertainment 9/15/2014 4:21:00 PM
- 'Space Station 76' Review: Liv Tyler and Matt Bomer Find Lust in Space in This ParMSNEntertainment 9/15/2014 4:15:00 PM
- 'Black Jesus' Star Andra Fuller to Play Sabers Owner's Son on BET&apoMSNEntertainment 9/15/2014 4:04:00 PM
- Bill Maher's 'Live From DC' Is HBO's Most-Watched Comedy SpecialMSNEntertainment 9/15/2014 3:52:00 PM
- Netflix's 'Daredevil' Casts 'Bourne' Star Scott GlennMSNEntertainment 9/15/2014 3:32:00 PM
- 4 Reasons Why We're Frustrated with The Mindy Project
The rivalry between "Today" and "Good Morning America" is so contentious, NBC's Ann Curry was reportedly forbidden from publicly reaching out to ABC's Robin Roberts after the 52-year-old was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) disease in June 2012.
In a New York magazine cover story, reporter Joe Hagan writes extensively about Curry's abrupt exit from the morning talk show -- and the immediate fallout the peacock network suffered as a result. When producers began to phase out the 55-year-old TV journalist in the spring, tensions reached an all-time high.
"Ann Curry was gone but not gone, which created a situation of spectacular awkwardness," Hagan writes. "Any trust that had existed between Curry and 'Today' was shattered. When Robin Roberts left 'Good Morning America' a month later to get treatment for MDS, Curry asked NBC if she could tweet a note of sympathy for the ABC co-host. NBC said no, afraid she was trying to aid the enemy."
Curry, who succeeded co-anchor Meredith Vieira, has remained silent about the situation since her departure in June 2012. Matt Lauer, meanwhile, has taken the brunt of the blame for Curry's dismissal.
Making matters more complicated, Hagan explains, is that Lauer had been in talks with ABC to develop a new daytime talk show with his former co-anchor Katie Couric. The 55-year-old had even spoken with Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, about the possible move. ABC executives were charmed by Lauer and excited about a potential partnership, but according to Hagan, the father of three "surprised them all by calling and saying thanks but no thanks."
Lauer extended his "Today" contract for a reported $25 million per year; he says he stayed on the show because he "cared about the show and staff." Though the show's ratings took a hit -- and those of "Good Morning America" soared -- Lauer believes "Today" will bounce back: "I'm confident that the show we're doing today is the one that will allow us to dig ourselves out of the hole."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Check out some of Alessandra's hottest vacation photos from the summer.Watch Video »
Jennifer Lopez, Salma Hayek, and Sharon Stone all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian cuddles a koala, plus more stars share their photos from adventures abroad on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Royal Beach Bods
Check out the hottest royals enjoying their beach vacations.Watch Video »
Where are they?
See what the cast of "Saved by the Bell" is up to today.Watch Video »
From Carrie Underwood to Duchess Kate; get the pregnancy scoop on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian, Katy Perry, and Naomi Campbell all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Rihanna, Kim Kardashian, and Eva Longoria all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Julia Roberts, Kelly Rowland, and Krysten Ritter all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Lea Michele, Jordin Sparks, and Nicole Richie all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Candice Swanepoel, Sarah Jessica Parker, and La La Anthony all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Blake Lively, Olivia Wilde, and Lindsay Lohan all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHighs and Lows
From Crowd Ignite