Report: No Comfort From Curry To Ailing Robin Roberts
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: Peter Kramer/KRAPE2 of 15
- Photo: NBC/WENN3 of 15
- Photo: @MLauer/Twitter4 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Sara De Boer/Retna Digital6 of 15
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP8 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 15
- Photo: ABC News/.10 of 15
- Photo: Kyle Rover/StarTraks11 of 15
- Photo: Ida Mae Astute/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Twitter/.13 of 15
- Photo: Frazer Harrison/GettyImages.com14 of 15
More Celeb News
- 'Citadel's' Ciaran Foy to Direct 'Sinister 2' for BlumhMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 4:38:00 PM
- 'Heaven Is for Real' Reviews: Does the Faith-Based Film Make Believers Out of CritMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 4:25:00 PM
- Fox responds to Bryan Singer abuse allegationsMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 3:54:00 PM
- Scandal Star Columbus Short's Wife Files for DivorceMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 2:59:00 PM
- Check Out Dave Chappelle's New Buff LookMSNEntertainment 4/17/2014 2:38:00 PM
- 'Citadel's' Ciaran Foy to Direct 'Sinister 2' for Blumh
The rivalry between "Today" and "Good Morning America" is so contentious, NBC's Ann Curry was reportedly forbidden from publicly reaching out to ABC's Robin Roberts after the 52-year-old was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) disease in June 2012.
In a New York magazine cover story, reporter Joe Hagan writes extensively about Curry's abrupt exit from the morning talk show -- and the immediate fallout the peacock network suffered as a result. When producers began to phase out the 55-year-old TV journalist in the spring, tensions reached an all-time high.
"Ann Curry was gone but not gone, which created a situation of spectacular awkwardness," Hagan writes. "Any trust that had existed between Curry and 'Today' was shattered. When Robin Roberts left 'Good Morning America' a month later to get treatment for MDS, Curry asked NBC if she could tweet a note of sympathy for the ABC co-host. NBC said no, afraid she was trying to aid the enemy."
Curry, who succeeded co-anchor Meredith Vieira, has remained silent about the situation since her departure in June 2012. Matt Lauer, meanwhile, has taken the brunt of the blame for Curry's dismissal.
Making matters more complicated, Hagan explains, is that Lauer had been in talks with ABC to develop a new daytime talk show with his former co-anchor Katie Couric. The 55-year-old had even spoken with Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney, about the possible move. ABC executives were charmed by Lauer and excited about a potential partnership, but according to Hagan, the father of three "surprised them all by calling and saying thanks but no thanks."
Lauer extended his "Today" contract for a reported $25 million per year; he says he stayed on the show because he "cared about the show and staff." Though the show's ratings took a hit -- and those of "Good Morning America" soared -- Lauer believes "Today" will bounce back: "I'm confident that the show we're doing today is the one that will allow us to dig ourselves out of the hole."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Shemar Moore shouts out all his “baby girls” and shows off his impressive shirtless body on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" is up to today.Watch Video »
Justin Bieber makes a surprise appearance at Coachella where Selena Gomez happens to be hanging out with the Jenner sisters on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Watch as Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Kirstie Alley talk about their tumble during their routine.Watch Video »
Britney Spears, Cindy Crawford and Vanessa Hudgens show their siblings some love on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall editor Chris Gardner.Watch Video »
Watch as Carrie Underwood talks about married life on Ellen.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian flaunts her bikini bod in two bizarre Instagram video clips on location in Thailand on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Kim Kardashian to Paris Hilton, see which stars have the most expensive engagement bling.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite