Anthony Bourdain: I Got Scary Hate Mail After Paula Deen Dis
- Photo: Diane Bondareff/AP1 of 11
- Photo: Paul Zimmerman/WireImage2 of 11
- Photo: Travel Channel/Promotional3 of 11
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/AP4 of 11
- Photo: CS5/Wonderwall5 of 11
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News6 of 11
- Photo: Brian Killian/WireImage7 of 11
- Photo: FOX8 of 11
- Photo: Peter Kramer/AP9 of 11
- Photo: Evan Agostini/AP10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:30:39 PM
- 'Hemlock Grove' Renewed for Season 2MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 4:19:55 PM
- Kelsey Grammer, Martin Lawrence Land Lawyer Comedy at FX MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:51:37 PM
- Music Journalist Chet Flippo Dead at 69MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:26:04 PM
- Owen Wilson and Woody Harrelson Go Back In Time in 'Free Bird's Trailer (Video)MSNEntertainment 6/19/2013 3:01:15 PM
- Thompson, Fantagraphics co-publisher, dies at 56
Anthony Bourdain has learned an important lesson over the last couple of years: You don't mess with Paula Deen.
In a Q&A with the new Rolling Stone (in the "Big Issue," which marks the magazine's return to a larger format and reaches subscribers this week), the bad-boy chef, 56, admits the backlash he faced from diehard Deen fans was a little "scary."
"A year ago, before she announced that she has diabetes, I dared to suggest that the food she was advocating was dangerous for you, and I received a lot of scary mail and Facebook posts," Bourdain reveals. "It was the first time I've ever been frightened."
The "No Reservations" host -- who previously called Deen the "most dangerous person to America," who is "proud of the fact that her food is f---ing bad for you" -- says he knows he needs to work on reining in his sharp tongue.
"I don't know what my problem is, honestly," Bourdain says. "Why can't I just live and let live? It's a personal failing."
In January, Savannah, Ga.-based chef Deen, 64, revealed on the "Today" show that she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes three years ago -- and simultaneously announced a deal with pharmaceutical giant Novo Nordisk to endorse a drug used to treat the disease.
Bourdain immediately slammed the Food Network host's new gig. "Thinking of getting into the leg-breaking business so I can profitably sell crutches later," he tweeted. (Speaking to Prevention magazine, Deen called his comments "very, very cruel.")
In an April interview with "Good Morning America," Bourdain made an effort to clarify his comments, explaining that he wasn't attacking Deen's illness but instead what he saw as her irresponsibility and hypocrisy.
"There's a lot to admire about Paula Deen and her life," the Travel Channel host conceded. Still, having her brand represent "excess without guilt" -- even though she knew full well "in a very personal way what this could and might very well lead to" -- was in "excruciatingly bad taste," Bourdain said.
"[To] turn around and roll out a $500-a-month diabetes treatment. ... It's unconscionable, cynical and greedy," he griped.
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
- Fashion Offenders for June 14, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for June 6, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 31, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 24, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for May 17, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 10, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for May 3, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 26, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 19, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for April 12, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for April 5, 2013.
- Fashion Offenders for March 29, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 22, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 15, 2013
- Fashion Offenders for March 8, 2013
Check out some of Kim Kardashian's tightest outfits.Watch Video »
Demi Lovato drops some major newborn scoop about Selena Gomez's family on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Ashley Greene reveals a painful wound from a wild Bali vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Best Bikini Bods
From Jennifer Lawrence to Rihanna, see the best off-season celeb bikini bods.Watch Video »
Two months after major marital problems, Ozzy and Sharon do a Hollywood date night on Celebs gone Social.Watch Video »
From David Beckham to Ben Affleck, check out Hollywood's hottest dads.Watch Video »
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite