Ariel Winter's mom sues actor for defamation
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN1 of 14
- Photo: GettyImages.com2 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: AXELLE WOUSSEN/Bauer-Griffin4 of 14
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage5 of 14
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/WireImage6 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage7 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage8 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage9 of 14
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage10 of 14
- Photo: PHIL MCCARTEN/Invision/AP11 of 14
- Photo: DT2/WENN12 of 14
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage.com13 of 14
More Celeb News
- 'Scandal' Adds 'Major Crimes' Actor Jon Tenney in Possibly RomanMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 12:48:04 PM
- 'Ouija' Conjures Leads: 'Bates Motel' Star Olivia Cooke &apoMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 12:44:35 PM
- 'Prisoners' Director Denis Villeneuve Eyed for Female-Driven Crime Drama &aposMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 11:49:18 AM
- 'Twice Born' Review: Penélope Cruz and Emile Hirsch as Twits Under Fire in SarajevMSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 11:31:43 AM
- Rick Santorum Compares Obamacare to Apartheid, on Night of Mandela's Death (Video)MSNEntertainment 12/6/2013 10:49:38 AM
- 'Scandal' Adds 'Major Crimes' Actor Jon Tenney in Possibly Roman
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The mother of "Modern Family" actress Ariel Winter sued an associate of her adult daughter for defamation Monday, claiming he falsely labeled her an "abusive monster" in an online comment about a custody struggle for the teenage star.
Chrisoula Workman filed the defamation and false light lawsuit against Matthew Borlenghi, claiming his comment attached to a Nov. 9 Los Angeles Times online story was false and has harmed her reputation.
Borlenghi is an actor who teaches at a studio operated by Shanelle Gray, Winter's adult sister who currently has custody of the 14-year-old actress. A judge temporarily stripped Workman of custody amid allegations she had been physically and emotionally abusive to the star.
A trial on whether Workman will be fully stripped of custody is scheduled to begin Wednesday.
Borlenghi said he had not yet seen the lawsuit and declined to say whether he posted a comment about the story on the Times website. The story centered on Workman's allegations that Winter was having an improper relationship with an 18-year-old actor.
RELATED: BING: Famous custody battles
"This is a total falsehood," the comment attributed to Borlenghi states. "The mother is grasping and clawing to find a way not to lose her money-maker, and hide the fact that she is an abusive monster."
The comment cites personal interactions with Workman for forming the opinions in the post.
Workman's lawsuit includes several pages of sworn declarations from tutors and other friends and associates denying she has been abusive to her daughter. The declarations have been filed in the guardianship case and may be considered by a judge who has to determine whether to allow Gray to continue caring for her sister.
A judge said last month that child protective investigators had evidence of emotional abuse toward Winter.
Workman has denied she has been abusive toward her daughter.
Guardianship cases in California are public record. Attorneys for Winter's sister requested the case and its proceedings be sealed, but a judge refused. The case was filed under Winter's birth name, Ariel Workman, in part to avoid attention.
Although The Associated Press does not generally name underage victims of abuse, Winter's name is being used because it is included in the public guardianship case.
Get out the vote
From Julianne Hough to Duchess Kate, see some of our favorite celebrities hair transformationsWatch Video »
From George and Sandra to Taylor and Ed, see more of Hollywood's platonic pairs.Watch Video »
Take a look back at Prince William and Duchess Kate's cutest couple moments.Watch Video »
Girls Night Out
It's a girls night out for celebs like Jennifer Lopez, Khloe Kardashian, Leah Remini, Brooklyn Decker, and more on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Ariana Grande to Kylie Jenner, see some of Hollywood's newest romances on Wonderwall Replay hosted by Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
See some of the hottest celebs that joined frats and sororities while in college.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTCheap Jewelry
From Videos of Wonderwall
From Crowd Ignite