Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick discover they are distant cousins
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com1 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com2 of 15
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP3 of 15
- Photo: Josephine Santos/Pacific Coast News4 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com5 of 15
- Photo: BRJ/Fame Pictures6 of 15
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage.com7 of 15
- Photo: Dave/Splash News8 of 15
- Photo: PPNY / GSNY/Splash News9 of 15
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com10 of 15
- Photo: Ron Asadorian/Splash News11 of 15
- Photo: Mark J. Terrill/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Mathew Imaging/WireImage.com13 of 15
- Photo: Mark Von Holden/WireImage.com14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier diesMSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 5:54:34 AM
- Jonathan Demme selling vast art collection in Pa.MSNEntertainment 3/9/2014 5:51:16 AM
- Lena Dunham Jokes About 'Girls' Nudity in 'SNL' MonologueMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 9:11:00 PM
- Stacy Keibler Has Surprise Beach WeddingMSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 7:28:00 PM
- Science Channel Greenlights Craig Ferguson Series 'I F-ing Love Science'MSNEntertainment 3/8/2014 7:10:00 PM
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier dies
By firstname.lastname@example.org (WENN Newsdesk)
Hollywood couple Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick have been left stunned and shaken by a new family tree study - after discovering they are distant cousins.
RELATED: Surprising Celeb Relatives
The pair teamed up with top genealogist Henry Louis Gates, Jr. for new TV special "Finding Your Roots" and he reveals they were not exactly thrilled with what they dug up.
The historian explains, "It turns out they share two things -- they both are descendants from people who owned slaves, and they are indeed distant cousins."
And they weren't the only celebrities shocked by findings from the past on the show -- crooner Harry Connick, Jr. discovered he had Confederate ancestors while "Iron Man" star Robert Downey, Jr. learned there was a gruesome murder in his family history.
Gates, Jr. adds, "We don't have any prior agreements with anyone (over what could be disclosed), and we just did the stories. We have a team of genealogists. We have different genealogists for different people -- some are more expert on African-Americans, some on Jewish people, some on Ashkenazi-Jewish people, some on Asian people. But whatever we find, we try to boil it down to three or four narrative arcs."
Continues Gates, Jr. "(We discovered) Robert Downey, Jr., two generations back ... (there was) a murder in his family. He had no idea. I'm getting him reading the headlines from the New York Times about the murder of these ancestors. Harry Connick, Jr. did not want to know he had Confederate ancestors, I'm sure. We tell them (stars) and it's a total surprise."
Ladies Who Cook
From Mila Kunis to Mary-Kate Olsen, get the scoop on all the engagements in Hollywood on Replay.Watch Video »
From Crowd Ignite